Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #1

Share |

electrical connection

I replaced an old ceiling fixture and now the lights wont turn off . There is a red wire two white wires and two black wires from the ceiling. And the fixture itself ,has a grounding wire and two wires one to be connected to the white of the ceiling and the other to be connected to the black of the ceiling i don't know what's wrong could you be of help? I also wanted to add that it is a two way light switch operation.

Last edited by pais; 07-12-2012 at 09:05 AM.
pais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
MarginallyQualified

electrical connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by pais View Post
I replaced an old ceiling fixture and now the lights wont turn off.
you have probably connected the light to the always hot feed (black) wire
rather than to the on/off switch leg wire

Quote:
I also wanted to add that it is a two way light switch operation.
How many (additional) wires did you disconnect in addition to just the black and white wires that used to feed the old light fixture?

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #3

Unhappy

electrical connection

I'm sorry did not get your explanation of the wiring . First of from the old fixture wiring were two wires and there was a grounding screw, the ceiling itself has two thick black wires entwined and two white wires entwined and one red thick wire all by itself and my new fixture has the regular wire splitting in two(black,on one is the writing which goes to the white wires supposedly)and one ground wire if you could tell me which wire needs to be connected to what I would be grateful
pais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #4

electrical connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by pais View Post
I replaced an old ceiling fixture and now the lights wont turn off . There is a red wire two white wires and two black wires from the ceiling. And the fixture itself ,has a grounding wire and two wires one to be connected to the white of the ceiling and the other to be connected to the black of the ceiling i don't know what's wrong could you be of help? I also wanted to add that it is a two way light switch operation.
Once again we do not mark the wires and make a small drawing as to how they go back together. Once again.
One service call and I bet this does not happen again.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #5

electrical connection

Well... How many light bulbs did the old fixture have? How many light bulbs does the new one have? Did the bulbs come supplied with the new light fixture or did you have to purchase separate? What is the max bulb rating for your new fixture?
CopperClad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

electrical connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperClad View Post
Well... How many light bulbs did the old fixture have? How many light bulbs does the new one have? Did the bulbs come supplied with the new light fixture or did you have to purchase separate? What is the max bulb rating for your new fixture?
What does that have to do with the fact, that the OP undid all of the connections, when all they needed to do, was only undo two. My guess is that most likely it will be the Red & White. If not, try Black & white.

This is what happens, when you do not place tags on the wires, or make a drawing before unhooking. Or even worst, thinking that it was hooked up incorrect before you touched it, even though it was working properly, and decided to redo the work that was already correct.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #7

electrical connection

My post had absolutely nothing to do with the OP's problem. If they would have supplied the answers to my questions , it would have given me a nice

CopperClad is offline   Reply With Quote