Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #1

Share |

Electrical Conduit

I am trying to run some wire through some conduit outside. The problem is that the people before me snaked it and left in a metal wire. Then did nothing so the metal rusted and is now stuck in the conduit. It broke on both sides when trying to pull it out...
Any suggestions on how to remove this metal wire from within the conduit? So far I have tried a pressure washer, leaf blower, and a shop vac?
Thanks

PoolManager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
Licensed Electrician

Electrical Conduit

Before giving any advice (you probably won't like it anyway), we are going to need either more info, or a picture ode this metal wire.

k_buz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #3

Electrical Conduit

The conduit was put in to run a speaker wire from the pool house to outdoor speakers. When it was installed (2 years ago), they snaked it and left a metal wire (like coat hanger thickness) inside so that it could be used to run the speaker wire through. No one touched it for two years and it wasn't sealed so water, dirt, mud got in there with the metal wire. When we went to pull it through the other day, it snapped on both ends. Leaving the entire middle piece still with the metal wire inside. The conduit design runs straight down about 6-8 inches, makes a 90 degree turn, runs for about 5 feet under cement, makes another 90 degree turn, then up 8 inches to the other side. It basically runs under a concrete walkway. So there is about 5 feet of this rusted metal wire stuck in there (I don't know how to take a great picture of it).
So far I tried pressure washing it out and I tried to use a snake to push it out. I am pretty sure I am SOL but I didn't know if there were any tricks to get a blockage out of conduit.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Electrical Conduit

What size conduit?
Old 05-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #5

Electrical Conduit

I think it is 1 inch conduit.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Electrical Conduit

What kind of conduit? There may be some solutions to this.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Electrical Conduit

If the conduit is PVC and the steel wire is small, you could probably just fill up the conduit with muriatic (hydrochloric) acid and leave it for a week or so. Steel dissolves pretty quickly in hydrochloric acid, and PVC is unharmed.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #8

Electrical Conduit

It is PVC and it is fairly small... Plus as a pool, I do have access to acid. Then after it dissolves just add water then suck out or blow out all the water/acid mix? The other thing I thought of was a plumbers snake and just try to pull it out.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #9

Electrical Conduit

Get a metal fishtape and push it into coduit about 3 feet past the old fish line.Take your fishtape holder and start winding (rolling) it to snag line.See if you get lucky.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
JW

Electrical Conduit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
If the conduit is PVC and the steel wire is small, you could probably just fill up the conduit with muriatic (hydrochloric) acid and leave it for a week or so. Steel dissolves pretty quickly in hydrochloric acid, and PVC is unharmed.
This works extremely well. That acid will eat the fishtape.

Wait for the acid to do it's job, then blow out the raceway with compressed air. Make sure to have a tight seal against the conduit with the air line, or else the acid will spray all over you.

Be careful at the other end.
The acid will fly out- I would definitely cover this end with something that allows the acid to come out but does not fly off also.
mm11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #11

Electrical Conduit

Thank you for all the help... After 6 hours of work, I was able to use my snake to push the majority of the rusted line to the 90 degree bend in the pipe. Then using a plumbers snake, I was able to hook pieces of it and keep pulling them out until I could run a wire through.