Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #1

Share |

electrical code

I have a question I hope someone can answer for me. I live in Milwaukee Wi. so I'm looking for codes that pertain to this city. What I am doing is installing 2 quad electrical outlets in my basement inside a wall, which I am also installing. I am using Romex for wiring. I attached each box to the studs at the desired location. From there I ran a Conduit pipe from the box to the top of the wall above the drywall the conduit will be inside the wall (i'm putting in a drop ceiling so the top corner of the basement is exposed for now. The reason for the conduit is so just in case later if i need to run a new wire all I have to do is feed it through the conduit and I don't have to try to fish it through the drywall in hope that it lands close to the hole for the electrical outlet). From the conduit at the top of the drywall I am running the romex exposed to my source. I can either wire it into an existing light fixture or I can have a professional electrician come and wire it to the fuser box for me. Is my method to code? can I attache it to the light fixture or do i need to attach it to the fuse box.

Thanks and sorry if my explanation is confusing I hope you can follow

thanks
Tim

tradtke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #2

electrical code

It is a code violation to run Romex in conduit. Either ditch the conduit or use THHN wire. I'd ditch the conduit idea - fishing additional wires is not that difficult.

Mentioning a fuse box makes me wonder if you have an older house. If so, do you have 2-prong (ungrounded) or 3-prong (grounded) receptacles? If they are 2-prong, it is a code violation to extend an ungrounded circuit.

Last edited by md2lgyk; 08-01-2011 at 01:24 PM.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to md2lgyk For This Useful Post:
tradtke (08-01-2011)
Old 08-01-2011, 01:43 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

electrical code

Type Nm cables can be run in conduit sleeves for physical protection. You need to look at conduit fill and cable size to size the conduit correctly.

I would add a new circuit. Adding to the old circuit may result in a possible overload. The old, if ungrounded, should not be extended. You may also need AFCI and/or GFI protection.
SD515 (08-01-2011)
Old 08-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
Electrician

electrical code

Suggest using ” conduit if you’re going that route. A single cable will go through much easier.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:23 PM   #5

electrical code

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
It is a code violation to run Romex in conduit. Either ditch the conduit or use THHN wire. I'd ditch the conduit idea - fishing additional wires is not that difficult.

Mentioning a fuse box makes me wonder if you have an older house. If so, do you have 2-prong (ungrounded) or 3-prong (grounded) receptacles? If they are 2-prong, it is a code violation to extend an ungrounded circuit.
Yes, it is a very old house, but when we bought it we had some updated electrical work done and one of them was the outlets. We have 3 prong outlets with GFCI protectors. My main concern is the condition of the wire to the light. We have found some scary electrical work from previous owners, which is what prompted the pre purchase electrical work done when we bought the house. I apologize though, maybe I didn't use the right term though. We have circuit breakers, which were also put in when we bought the house so all the updates are about 5 years old.
tradtke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #6

electrical code

Three-prong outlets with GFCI protection is NOT a grounded system, just an ungrounded one that's a bit safer. You technically cannot extend any such circuits.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #7

electrical code

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
Type Nm cables can be run in conduit sleeves for physical protection. You need to look at conduit fill and cable size to size the conduit correctly.
And "physical protection" encompasses lengthy runs of NM inside walls? I would not think so.