Electrical Cable Run In Concrete Floor - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Electrical Cable Run in Concrete Floor

My home is a raised, slab ranch. Raised about 3 feet with a concrete cap over sand filler. Hope I explained all right.....LOL

Replacing existing carpet with engineered hard wood. I need to have two electrical plugs in the floor. They will be each be spliced into nearby (10 feet away) wall plugs. I will also be running a phone cable. Low load devices in floor plugs like floor lamps, cordless phone, etc. Presently using extension cords from wall, run under rug.

My plan is to cut a channel in the concrete cap to run the electrical (phone also in one) cable then seal the channel with a concrete patch type material. I will also have to cut the cap deeper where the boxes will go as engineered flooring is about 3/8 inch thick. I know about shallow boxex.

I plan to cut the channel with a concrete blade on a electrical hand saw. Cutting two slits per run as shallow as I can to accomodate the cable then chisel out the channel or run more cuts.

I will not being doing anything I have never done before, including cutting concrete, electrical, etc.

Suggestions, ideas, helpful hints, etc?

Thanks

Advertisement

john curry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
Handyguy

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Essentially you should use conduit in the concrete and a proper floor box.

Advertisement

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 02-16-2010 at 05:57 PM. Reason: removed link to web-site
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,008

Wet saw or dry?
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
Handyguy

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
Wet saw or dry?
ha - wet if you can get your hands on one. Could encounter rebar embedded in concrete. A circular saw with an abrasive blade will be tough going and quite possibly end up in the demise of the saw plus all the dust generated.

Wet is the way to go. Rental houses can hook you up.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:54 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
Wet saw or dry?
Dry saw but no rebar. Realize it will be dusty, but will have helper running shop vac to suck up dust. She is good at sucking.....LOL

From what I read, most suggest conduit so my questions are will overall plan work:

Cut slits only as deep as needed for smallest available conduit, chisel out (or recut), run conduit, then reseal over conduit with concrete patch type stuff?

What type and size conduit?

I can "wing" the connection at the wall and the floor boxes.

Thanks for your help.
john curry is offline   Reply With Quote