DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

electrical and cable

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  marin001 
#1 ·
can i run/tie both outside electrical and cable wire together, as i would like to cover them so it would look cleaner.

#2 ·
not sure what you mean. Could you restate your question?

What I think you mean is can you run an outside electrical feeder along with a cable (such as RG6?) in either a common trench or conduit.

If that is your question, if a conduit; no. All cables/wire in a conduit must have insulation rated as high as the highest voltage present. RG6 is not rated for 120v so it is not acceptable.

as to being in a same ditch; as long as there is separation.

You should try to keep data cable and video cable separated from power cable by at least a foot if the power is not in metal conduit to avoid interference.

the bigger problems with this is; all the cables/wire must be rated for wet condition.

If that didn't answer your question, please explain a bit more.

#3 ·
Under the code I think you can. However it is never recommended to run power wires and cable TV wires in parallel unless more than a foot apart. Electrical can cause interference on the cable wire. They can't be run in the same conduit unless the cable TV wire has an insulation rating equal to the power cable(600volts).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.