Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1
Share |
Default

electrical/burnt and melted rubber dryer plug


When I removed 3 prong plug from receptacle at wall, I discovered that the plastic receptacle has ash and dirt in the back, and the 3 pronged plug was burnt and a portion of the rubber plug was melted. Anyone know why...should the plastic receptacle box be replaced with new plug . Can I do this or should I get an electrician? btw I did turn off dryer breaker first...Thanks!

rwiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor
 
rrolleston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Granville, NY
Posts: 1,941
Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston
Default

electrical/burnt and melted rubber dryer plug


Bad connection caused something to heat up if you are not comfortable looking into it then it would be best to contact a qualified electrician.

__________________
With Electricity there is the right way to do it and the dead way. Just because it works does not make it safe.
rrolleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 26,196
Default

electrical/burnt and melted rubber dryer plug


That or undersized wiring was used.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
MarginallyQualified
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Winston-Salem NC
Posts: 3,656
Default

electrical/burnt and melted rubber dryer plug


Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiegel View Post
...and the 3 pronged plug was burnt
and a portion of the rubber plug was melted.
Anyone know why...
Could be lots of things.
Do you have a new dryer?

Quote:
Should the plastic receptacle box be replaced with new plug?
Yes.
Quote:
Can I do this...?
Probably.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
Close to retirement
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: High Desert, Southern Calif.
Posts: 40
Default

electrical/burnt and melted rubber dryer plug


I’ve replaced these many times and it’s never been because of undersized wire. It’s usually because of poor fitting plugs or the wire is not tight in the terminals. I just don’t know how many I’ve found with loose terminals.

I think aluminum wire is pretty much a thing of the past, but there may still be some out there. I used to have to replace that as well because people just don’t understand that aluminum wire has to have terminals rated for it and it has to have cooling paste on it.

Once I found that the dryer did not have a vent pipe to take the hot air away and it was blowing right on the plug. Another time it was because the owner was in the habit of unplugging everything and the plug just could not take all the pulling.

I don’t like plugs being installed right behind the dryer and when I install them I try to put them above the dryer so they can be observed. Something people just don’t like the looks of them so I’ll put them just below the dryer top so at lest they are cool and accessible.
JohnnyB60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
UAW SKILLED TRADES
 
Stubbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 4,978
Default

electrical/burnt and melted rubber dryer plug


Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiegel View Post
When I removed 3 prong plug from receptacle at wall, I discovered that the plastic receptacle has ash and dirt in the back, and the 3 pronged plug was burnt and a portion of the rubber plug was melted. Anyone know why...should the plastic receptacle box be replaced with new plug . Can I do this or should I get an electrician? btw I did turn off dryer breaker first...Thanks!
Loose connection in one of the receptacle box connectors for current carrying wire. Not quite as common as with range receptacles but happens due to cramped quarters and difficulty getting the wires connected properly with stiff wire in a close quarters flush mount box. Possibly DIY installed and not being assertive enough ... or too shallow of flush mount box causing wire to come loose mashing the wires into the box when fastening the receptacle. Or just loose in surface mount receptacle. These type can be a little tricky.


Undersized wire is a problem but will not cause this type problem ... won't matter the size of wire in a loose connection ... they all get glowing red...
__________________
" One nice thing about the NEC articles ... you have lots of choices"

Stubbie
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
Electrical Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 725
Default

electrical/burnt and melted rubber dryer plug


Might want to double-check for aluminum wiring, just in case.
Kyle_in_rure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nashua, NH, USA
Posts: 6,929
Default

electrical/burnt and melted rubber dryer plug


Note that it is possible for the loose connection can be in the power plug (cord cap) and the receptacle (wall plug) melts first. Or vice versa. (This simply depends on the melting points of the plastic and rubber materials involved.

I have seen instances where most of the strands of wire have broken where they are attached to the prongs of a power plug, and the remaining strands get hot because they are too thin for the number of amperes, even over a distance of about a quarter inch.
__________________
Stop wasting time re-adjusting the pattern. Have several lawn sprinklers, one for each pattern.

Last edited by AllanJ; 02-10-2013 at 04:22 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:01 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cairns Australia
Posts: 2,435
Default

electrical/burnt and melted rubber dryer plug


Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiegel View Post
When I removed 3 prong plug from receptacle at wall, I discovered that the plastic receptacle has ash and dirt in the back, and the 3 pronged plug was burnt and a portion of the rubber plug was melted. Anyone know why...should the plastic receptacle box be replaced with new plug . Can I do this or should I get an electrician? btw I did turn off dryer breaker first...Thanks!
Replace both the outlet and the plug with good quality,
heavy duty if possable.
Burnt plugs/outlets are usually caused by poor contact,
so could be either one.
Check that the wires are clean where they contact the outlet.

dmxtothemax is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DRYER HELP or Bigger Problem? SitEatChat Electrical 19 05-05-2012 01:12 AM
Washer & Dryer Holiday Fun BRIANisMEisWE Appliances 8 12-24-2011 02:41 AM
Testing 220Volt Dryer Plug BCanuck Electrical 12 03-21-2011 07:56 PM
dryer problems grasshopper Appliances 3 09-23-2009 09:49 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.