Electrical Box Replace,addiitions, City Permits And Looking For An Electrician - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 11:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Wink

Electrical box replace,addiitions, city permits and looking for an electrician

I live in orange country. I bought a house 6 months and I have been remodeling my house since then. I have an electrician guy who made 35 additions like candlelight and outlets. I have an electrical box of 40amps and He- electrical guy - knew that I was going to change the box soon . He did his job So far OK, I also replace my old an Air-conditioner (brand york) and still using my old box of 40amps. Now , Somehow , I had to reset twice my old box because , the air conditioner /heather stop. I am looking to change my electrical box. I have two estimates. What I want it done is on this list :

1- change my old electrical box (over head) and change the place from point A to point B (closer to the pole and It was blessed by Edison - place a sticker on the spot )
2- Place a wall air/conditioner in my garage.
3- adding some light (3 light on my patio with different switches -independently)
4- Inside of the house , i want him to make another candlelight.
5- I want him to review and make sure that my other "new" candlelight and electrical additions are ok and well distributed.
6- all those estimations are coming from electrical guys with licenses.
7- put some smoke detectors in my 4 rooms
8- give some power to my garages , (some outlets powerful enough for my wall air conditioner and my 10 computers and some other electrical devices such as fax,phones,lights etc.
9- the first electrician guy who made those electrical additions , knew that i was going to change my electrical box and he left it to only extend them to my new box. He also put two outlets in my garage and told me that as soon as the box is ready , only needs is to put some cables from box in to those outlets.

All this job needs to be done as soon as possible. I work on my garage and this summer is hot and I can stay not longer than few hours in my garage.
I want to get all the material from home depot because I have credit and I can make payments with no interest for 12 months.
I have an estimation of $2100 (labor only) and I am waiting for another one. I do not know much of cost, so can any body help me in give me some advice. I want this job done as soon as possible. I also ask the electricians guys that i want someone with licenses and I will get and pay for the city permit. thank you.

Advertisement

Old 08-02-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,152

Orange County NY, or maybe Ca, how about Fla?

I must say, your descriptions are a bit confusing, and describing this over the internet will not get you any accurate estimates. In fact, this is not the place to be looking for contractors. That is something you must do on a local level.

Maybe someone here knows of someone in your area though and can help.

Advertisement

Old 08-02-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
We pick these?

Rewards Points: 75

I am also doing a lot of electrical rework on my current project which includes receptacles, gfci receptacles, lighting, smoke alarms, etc... I wanted to get an electrician to design and direct me to do myself, but I couldn't find anyone within a reasonable time to do so. I instead got a self-permit from the compliance dept. here in Indianapolis and bought a book (black and decker home wiring) which was recommended by the electrical inspector. He also gave me some direction that has helped me streamline the project. It's not overly difficult to do this kind of work yourself if you are motivated and semi-skilled with tools.

It's not completely accurate, but for ballpark figures there's a website called costhelper dot com or you can browse angieslist if you have it in your area. Don't rely on craigslist for contractor leads without checking lots of references and licenses. Most contractors aren't going to want to do a partial job, and the law requires the contractor to pull their own permit, which provides you with some protection.

I encourage you to see if you can get a self-permit, get some guidance from a pro and from books, and DIY if you can muster the confidence. It's kind of fun to do and maybe you'll save some bucks.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

This site is geared towards DIY
Costs do vary greatly by area
Your best bet is to get several local estimates & check their references
Closed Thread

Tags
electrical box , electrical outlet , electrical question , electrical wiring