Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #1

Share |

Electrical box installed in basement below grade!

I am looking for the best course of action on an issue we have with our electrical box. We had a very heavy rain recently (4 inches in an hour). As a result of this we had water that was not draining quickly enough and standing near our foundation. We just happened to notice that the water was coming out of the electrical box in the basement. It looks like the water came in through the same pipe the wires were fed through and was pouring through all the breakers, etc. When we were able to get a closer look we noticed that the previous homeowners had punched the holes out on the bottom of the box to let previous water drain out and the breakers are rusted. The inspector when we purchased the home did not find this (I dont think he even removed the cover of the box to look at what was behind). What recourse do we have to rectify this major hazard. Is this a code violation? The pipe comes right in to the box from outside-it looks like it is a straight shot in. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

jerilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

The panel should be replaced and the water intrusion should be fixed.
That could be as simple as adding duct seal to the opening of the entrance cables, or rerouting the service.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
Licensed electrician

Like JB said, the equipment needs to be replaced.

http://www.nema.org/prod/be/enclosur...lect_equip.pdf