Electrical Box In Foundation Wall - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2010, 10:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Electrical box in foundation wall

Finished basement has 1" in furring strips attached directly to masonry with paneling on top. They used the extra shallow boxes for outlets so I'm considEring chipping a hole in my basement block foundation wall in those spots to put in a deeper box so it sits flush to the paneling. Anyone with any experience regarding this problem? Would doing this cause problems?

Advertisement

Atskodinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,826

Your biggest issue will be that each box can only hold one cable due to volume constraints. You will not be able to feed power in and power out from the same box. You will need to add an accessible junction box somewhere else and branch out from there.

Advertisement

Old 11-22-2010, 10:41 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

I don't like to do such things, but have no solid reasoning. It is just preference. To some degree it weakens the foundation. I prefer to avoid this. I am sure that it is done regularly, however.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port
Your biggest issue will be that each box can only hold one cable due to volume constraints. You will not be able to feed power in and power out from the same box. You will need to add an accessible junction box somewhere else and branch out from there.
I assume you are referring to the shallow boxes? That was a reason I wanted to replace with deeper boxes. My other option is wiremould extender boxes.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberkc
I don't like to do such things, but have no solid reasoning. It is just preference. To some degree it weakens the foundation. I prefer to avoid this. I am sure that it is done regularly, however.
It's not making me too comfortable thinking about doing it. Any cause for concern with potential moisture seepage?
Old 11-22-2010, 11:47 AM   #6
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

How far out from the finished wall do the existing boxed protrude?
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7ecorsair
How far out from the finished wall do the existing boxed protrude?
Currently they are flush with the finished wall, but they used the extra shallow boxes to achieve this.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:51 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,212

I would not do that. I once owned a house built in the 1950s that was block and stucco. Whoever installed the few outlets that were in the basement did exactly what you are asking about. Very, very drafty basement.

If I were you I'd rip out all the furring and build 2x4 walls. Besides being able to use full-size boxes, you could insulate.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:20 PM   #9
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atskodinski View Post
Currently they are flush with the finished wall, but they used the extra shallow boxes to achieve this.
Unless you are doing some remodeling, why do you feel you need to change these boxes?
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:30 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Any cause for concern with potential moisture seepage?
Moisture seepage is not my concern. It is purely structural. It is my opinion that moisture seepage can be permanently solved only by eliminating the moisture.

For me it is just a priority issue. I place higher value on the long-term structural integrity of my foundation than to put it at risk (however small) for the purpose of avoiding the visual problems of surface-mounted box. To me, if the surface mounted box was absolutely unacceptable, then it would be worth my time (to me, at least) to reframe the wall in such a way as to allow full-depth boxes without penetrating the foundation.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:01 PM   #11

Answering the last three posts at once, I'm doing some semi remodeling in the basement so while I would love to rip out the current furring and correctly frame/insulate the walls, it's just not going to be practical for what i'm trying to achieve. I'm trying to extend tei circuits they have on two walls for additional outlets since they only have a couple and then add a circuit for a fridge. Doesn't sound like boring a hole in the block wall is what I want to do, so looks like surface box extenders/boxes or wiring will be the way to go.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:59 PM   #12

Follow up question....

What type of cable should be running between the paneling and masonry (again, about 1" space). Is regular old romex ok or would i be better using ac or outdoor romex? One of these circuits will be going up the wall and into a j-box above the drop down ceiling.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:16 PM   #13

when u say "shallow box", are you talking about a shallow plastic box or what? if the studs are turn so they are flat against the wall...can you use a side bracket 1900 box with a 1/2" mud ring?

Advertisement

heartlessmcfly is offline   Reply With Quote