Electrical Box In Brick (Interior) - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2011, 02:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Electrical Box In Brick (Interior)

Hey all.

I lurk this forum all the time, but I've come accross something I haven't been able to find through searching.

We bought a 1928 duplex about 6 months ago and are now working on updating the upstairs before we move in. We pulled the carpet and found three live receptacles in the living room area prevously covered by carpet. If possible I want to move them to the walls. The walls are plaster with what looks like brick behind them. Is this normal to not have lath behind the plaster? Each of the walls are exterior walls - which are concrete for about 3 feet and then brick.

Ive included a picture of one of the receptacles, and can get one from below if needed (not directly below, but a few feet over, so see what it looks like between the floor joists).

Would it be okay to chisel out the brick and put a new box, or is there going to be lath a foot or so up and I can just drill a small hole and run a wire through it?

Thansk everyone!
Attached Images

Advertisement

litleclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,874

Plaster over brick, stone or block is a common technique. Lath is typically used to span the gap when you have a framing system like studs.

You may be able to surface mount the receptacles on the wall with a conduit stub down into the basement.

Advertisement

Old 09-11-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,390

Pull the box back into the cellar or crawl space and use as a junction box. Surface mount a low profile WireMold box, with a short piece of WireMold from the box down through the floor. Run A short piece of 12 or 14 gauge (20 or 15 amp circuit) cable from the WireMold box to the Junction box. This assumes you can use cable in your area.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

We're actually trying to avoid have surface mounted boxes altogether - but that seems like its out of the question. Unsafe to chip out some brick? I've seen the thin boxes, and I'm wondering if chipping out 1 to 1 1/2 inches of the brick will be okay.
litleclay is offline   Reply With Quote