Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2007, 12:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

electrical audio interference?!

Well, the volume knob on my harmon kardons finally went and I can't fix it any longer, so I got a new audio system for my computer (which is also my home theater).

It seemed to be a decent quality unit, plays just fine, but here's the thing. When I'm in bed at night, and I turn on my fan (need that white noise!), it makes noise in my speakers!! Just a light noise, but it doesn't it any time you turn the fan on or change speeds.

The speakers are plugged into a completely different outlet than the fan too, is this normal?

joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:09 PM   #2
Union Electrician

You are hearing the reason a lot of people want isolated ground receptacles. I don't claim to be an expert in Electro magnectic noise, but it sounds like the motor load is what is screwing up your speakers. I don't know if you have ever experienced static on the TV while someone else is vacuuming in the house, but it is the same type of thing. How to rectify it? Hard to say. If the outlet is on the same circuit, it will always be a problem. If it is on the same network, it will be a problem, but somewhat mitigated. I hate to say it but you may have to run a dedicated circuit for the equipment in question. Only my opinion.
Isolated ground will not help you with a romex system.

goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:12 PM   #3
Electrician philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose134 View Post
You are hearing the reason a lot of people want isolated ground receptacles. I don't claim to be an expert in Electro magnectic noise, but it sounds like the motor load is what is screwing up your speakers. I don't know if you have ever experienced static on the TV while someone else is vacuuming in the house, but it is the same type of thing. How to rectify it? Hard to say. If the outlet is on the same circuit, it will always be a problem. If it is on the same network, it will be a problem, but somewhat mitigated. I hate to say it but you may have to run a dedicated circuit for the equipment in question. Only my opinion.
Isolated ground will not help you with a romex system.
Goose, I'm glad you had that last sentence, 'cause I'm in a rare mood tonite and was about to FIRE OFF.
Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:47 PM   #4
Union Electrician

Andy, I work in Chicago and everything goes in pipe, so I base my answers on my experience. I then have to remember that it's the WORLD wide web...
Glad I saved you the trouble of a scolding
goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:47 PM   #5
Once fried, twice shy.

Rewards Points: 250

What kind of fan is it? Ceiling or pedestal? Is it variable speed control (electronic)?
Old 11-22-2007, 10:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkangorito View Post
What kind of fan is it? Ceiling or pedestal? Is it variable speed control (electronic)?
oh i'm sorry I should've specified - it's a variable control but it's a normal, plug in the wall, $9.99 walmart fan. It's my white noise machine

It's plugged into the outlet next to my bed, my pc/speakers are plugged into a receptacle on the opposite wall, I'm unsure if the two outlets are split from teh same wire though <and if swapping that would be the answer, I'd deal with the interference lol!>
Old 11-23-2007, 01:11 AM   #7
Once fried, twice shy.

To me, it sounds like the interference is being generated by the speed controller in the fan. If this is the case, you have 3 options;

1] filter the input to the speakers.
2] filter the input to the amp (or is this a computer? I'm confused with your setup).
3] filter the supply to the fan.

Earthing will not fix this problem.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:05 AM   #8

setup is a PC home theater.

Components are PC tower, flat screen, and speakers all powered into the same surge unit powered from same wall outlet, and speakers get a 2.5mm (I believe, it's standard headphone jack audio supply) audio input from the pc tower.

The little fan I use for white noise is plugged into the outlet on the opposite side of the room as the rest. <<My projector is ceiling mounted and wired into the ceiling fan's junction box, but I *believe* this problem occurs regardless of whether that's currently on or not, I just notice this issue when watchign movies at night when projetor's always on>>
Old 11-23-2007, 09:07 AM   #9

yup it still makes the noise in the speakers even if it's just the monitor/speakers/pc in use with the projector off, it makes a small noise (not too different than a muted version of the noise when you mess up and plug/unplug speakers that were powered and had a current audio feed and their volume was up a bit). The noise is made whether turning that little fan on, and changing speeds on the little fan (whether speeding it up or down).
Old 11-23-2007, 09:21 AM   #10
Once fried, twice shy.

Now, I'm even more confused.

How many fans do you have? Do you have a fan that is solely for the purpose of creating "white noise" & another fan that is giving you "noise" problems? If you have two fans, please call them "fan A" & "fan B".
Old 11-23-2007, 12:21 PM   #11

lol definitely sorry, I see the confusion!

Fan1 is my ceiling fan, always on low setting, never off - every minute the house has power, it's on low and never ever touched (switch stays on because it's on the PC's circuit/switch and it's all kept on, the toggle switch is blocked so nobody can switch it off ever).

Fan2 is a tiny, $9.99 walmart fan I use for white noise at bedtime, that has 3 speeds, of which I use different ones and change frequently (like in the morning if cars are being noisy and whatnot).

Fan2 is plugged into the outlet next to my bed, opposite wall from teh outlet that powers the PC and the speakers (this outlet has just the pc / speakers / computer peripherals, although if I hit that switch on my wall, it will kill power to both the ceiling fan / fan1, and to the PC/peripherals/speakers, but NOT fan2).