Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2009, 06:28 PM   #1

Share |

Electrical Anomaly

Something has changed on one of the circuits in the house. Running a "Hot" checker (the little wand that beeps in the presence of current) says both the Hot side of a circuit and the neutral side both have current in them. Other outlets in the house only show the hotside as being live. The only thing that changed was another outlet on a different circuit being moved and that circuit breaker is currently off. Nothing plugged into these outlets works. However, this circuit while being hte kitchen, shares outlets in the living room, a cieling fan in the living room and god knows what else. I am confused and dont have any idea where to start. My thought was there is something wired directly from hot to nuetral, but the cieling fan is still working in the living room. though it seems like nothing else is working.

angrysmileyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:36 PM   #2

Electrical Anomaly

The little wand that beeps in the presence of current is often inaccurate as it detects induced EMFs.

Get a tester with leads on it if you want to feel secure. Check hot to ground (120V) hot to neutral (120v) and neutral to ground (0 volts)

220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:02 PM   #3

Electrical Anomaly

In a properly functioning outlet, I get what is suggested. On the messed up circuit, I get .5v between hot and nuetral and .6v between hot and ground and .6v between neutral and ground.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:08 PM   #4

Electrical Anomaly

To me, fractions of volts mean nothing. I write it off as "fantom" voltage picked up by digital meters. Anything over 3-4 volts, I would look deeper.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:17 PM   #5

Electrical Anomaly

THat sounds possibly true. When I shut off the breaker for the room adjoining the same wall, the voltage wand stopped reporting anything. So Im betting this anomally was providing miniscule induced voltage for a circuit that is temporarily killed due to the outlet being moved
Old 08-21-2009, 07:59 PM   #6

Electrical Anomaly

Turned out to be phantom voltage. Finished out the moved outlet, reset the breaker, everything turned out to be alive and the phantom voltage disappered, It appeared too be induced from the living room circuit sharing the same wall.