Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2011, 10:32 AM   #1

Share |

electrical

i was told i could run 6/2 wire to a detached garage so i did its in conduit buried 2-3 feet deep so when i wired sub-panel [murray box]the left side bus bar is dead so the only way to get things to work is to have the nuetral and ground on same bus bar [right side] what did ido wrong or am i screwed

ted 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
I=E/R

electrical

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted 66 View Post
i was told i could run 6/2 wire to a detached garage so i did its in conduit buried 2-3 feet deep so when i wired sub-panel [murray box]the left side bus bar is dead so the only way to get things to work is to have the nuetral and ground on same bus bar [right side] what did ido wrong or am i screwed
You didn't put in enough wires. You need four wires feeding your garage.

a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
Love for Construction

electrical

Disconnect the feed wires to the garage, pull the wires back through the conduit, add another 6 gauge wire to them (if the conduit is sized for it) and pull the 4 wires back through the conduit.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:30 AM   #4

electrical

Lets hope you over killed your conduit size. Like said above you must pull all of them back out. If you can sacrifice one conductor, you can use one of them to pull two back in.
Before you do anything, call the local building inspectors office and ask them what code cycle you are on. If you are on 2008 or 2011 you must have a four wire feeder. If you are on 2005 and before, three wire feeders are allowed. But you need three wires. H-H-N.

You said 6/2. Does that mean you pulled a cable, or did you just pull two individual #6 wires?

6/2 signifies a cable and you should have two insulated wires and one uninsulated grounding conductor in the cable. Lets hope it is a cable and that you are on an older code cycle. Before 2008.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote