Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Electrical

The light switch which controls both the bathroom light/fan blew. When I removed the twitch (three pole) I found six electrical wires ( 2 each of black, white and ground) I think one of the white neutral electrical wires is a traveler....unfortunately, I can not remember how to hook up the wires to the switch to get the light/fan to turn on. Any suggestions?

Terimarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #2

Electrical

how many locations can you control the light? The number of wires makes me think this is a four way switch. If you only have two locations then you have more wires than you need or you need one more wire. A three way needs two travelers and a switch leg /hot so you need three wires, you have four so i don't know what the extra is for. Yoiu will need to remove the cover from the other switch location and see how it is wired. If you have three or more locations that have switches then this could be a four way switch. When you open the other switch it is important to seee if they are using the bare copper as a current carrying wire if it is then you have a problem as this wire can only be used as a ground.

usair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Electrical

OK, several things:

A) You normally would use a title to your thread that reflects your problem, such as "Bathroom switch wiring". "Electrical" is pretty obvious since this is the electrical forum.

B) What exactly are you referring to as a "three pole" switch? Does it control the fan and light separately? Such as a duplex switch? Is it a triplex switch that has three functions?

C) Why are you assuming a "traveler"? Travelers are part of a 3-way wiring scheme (two or more switches in different locations). I doubt this is the case.
And why are you assuming neutral? A white is not always a neutral, especially ay a switch. Was a white connected to the switch before?

I think we would need you to open the fan and tell us exactly how it is wired in there. From just the colors at the switch it is impossible to say.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #4

Electrical

Thanks for the advice. I am new to the forum. There was tape wrapped around the white wire when I opened the switch box. Only one switch operates both the bathroom light and fan, meaning in the past when I flipped the swith both light and and fan came on. The switch that needs replacing was not your standard light swith, with three screws...It has on common black screw, two silver screws and your ground screw.

My issue is I forgot which wires ran to which screws. Furthermore, whoever did the original wiring capped nothing off, and Ihad wires pushed up against the back of the plastic box.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #5

Electrical

One light switch controlls the bathroom fan/light .
Old 05-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #6

Electrical

You are describing a 3-way switch. Was there a wire on each screw before, or was one empty?
Old 05-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #7

Electrical

Honestly, I don't remember, except, one white wire was pushed against the back box, and the copper wires were not hooked together- but seperate. Sorry...
Old 05-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
Blank

Electrical

They were using the 3 way as a single pole. Tail the grounds, attach to the ground screw on the new single pole switch. Nut and stuff the whites. Attach the blacks to the screws on the switch. I'm guessing the reason the switch "blew" is because the neutrals weren't made up properly to begin with and came apart in the box and found a hot wire then shorted out.
Baxter01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #9

Electrical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter01 View Post
They were using the 3 way as a single pole. Tail the grounds, attach to the ground screw on the new single pole switch. Nut and stuff the whites. Attach the blacks to the screws on the switch. I'm guessing the reason the switch "blew" is because the neutrals weren't made up properly to begin with and came apart in the box and found a hot wire then shorted out.
Wow, it is amazing how you can tell all this!

Before giving advice like this I would be very curious as to why one white was taped black.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (05-20-2013), sirsparksalot (05-20-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #10

Electrical

time to take a peek at the fan light connection.

possibility , someone ran two 12/2 instead of a 12/3 intending to bring power down to the switch and two seperate returns one for fan and one for light leaving an extra white wire. that may be what the taped white is ,the power feeding down, and the two balcks were returns. Looking at the makeup in the fan/light will help.
usair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #11

Electrical

I twisted and capped the neutral wires together. The blacks are attached to the scres and the switch is grounded. Still nothing. :+)
Old 05-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #12

Electrical

Pictures are worth a thousand words, if possible

Could you upload some of both the Switch Box, and the Light/Fan?
Old 05-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #13

Electrical

Attached.....still no luck with this. Any help is so appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Electrical-elect.jpg   Electrical-elect2.jpg  
Old 05-28-2013, 09:36 PM   #14
Licensed electrician

Electrical

I can tell you the box needs to be extended out to the finished surface with a box extension.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:10 AM   #15

Electrical

OK, you said you put the whites together, so that should indicate that neither is a Hot with the other being a neutral. Do you remember if either of the whites were on the switch?

Take a voltmeter, and place the probes between one of the Blacks, and its corresponding* White wire. Is there any voltage? DO the same with the other pair. The corresponding White is the wire that's coming in through the same cable as its Black.

Let's see the other switch, and the fan/light box wiring.