Electrical - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

electrical

I tried to use my electric lawn mower yesterday and there was no power to the mower when plugged into the outlet. A test of the outlet indicated the ground and hot lead reversed, or OPEN GROUND wire. I checked another outlet on the back deck and received the same reading. Could an open ground on one outlet affect the second outlet in the same way?

Advertisement

kenSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

electrical

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenSherman View Post
I tried to use my electric lawn mower yesterday and there was no power to the mower when plugged into the outlet. A test of the outlet indicated the ground and hot lead reversed, or OPEN GROUND wire. I checked another outlet on the back deck and received the same reading. Could an open ground on one outlet affect the second outlet in the same way?

Advertisement

kenSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

electrical

of course. If the previous outlet in the circuit has an open ground, then the next outlet in the circuit will also have an open ground.

It sounds like these are outside, so perhaps check and see if there is a GFI outlet somewhere along the way that has tripped.

Last edited by fred54; 04-08-2013 at 11:29 AM. Reason: spelling
fred54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,008

electrical

Reverse polarity would still produce 120 volts. An open ground while dangerous has nothing to do with no power. It would still work without a ground also.
I agree with the above post that if its an outside receptacle it IS on a gfci. If its in the garage it is SUPPOSED to be gfci protected.
Go and check every gfci in the house and outside and see if one has tripped? I found in a house recently a gfci receptacle in a bathroom feeding two more bathrooms and one outside receptacle. So the tripped gfci can be anywhere.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,492

electrical

Have you looked for a GFCI that is tripped?
Your reading could also be an open neutral.
Stubbie (04-08-2013)