Electrical - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 12


the main line comes out of the meter that is attached on this pole, just lower. this line needs replaced, its from the early 1970s. its wrapped in rotting away fabric and the ground wire is visible the whole way up.
paying an electrician i cannot do. I have rewired a lot of interior electrical problems in the home already. subpanel in the basement with a circuit having 10 outlets on it!

i called the POCO and they say they will turn the power off for it to be replaced. what do i need to replace this line? what kind of line? i think its only 60 amp, not sure. those connectors/fuses in the picture are what? connecting into the meter....do i need a new meter or anything for that?
from this pole the line runs about 50 feet horizontally to a small transformer on another pole. i have a clear picture of that and will post it if need be. do i need to replace that horizontal line all the way to the transformer? that line is in good shape actually and i would like to replace just the vertical wire.
thank you. i will take it all into consideration responsibly.
Attached Thumbnails
electrical-img_0509.jpg   electrical-img_0510.jpg  


gly35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Alberta
Posts: 46
Rewards Points: 25

Well, after reading your post I would suggest you call a professional. I wouldn't even open anything in the area until all the power was off because of the condition it is in.

If you want to know, you would the wiring to the top of the pole to the meter base, replace the meter base, the piping and wiring to the service box, and likely also a new service box. Considering the condition it is in, it likely needs to be moved to a different location or installed in a different type of enclosure.


AltaSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.
Speedy Petey's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY State
Posts: 7,821
Rewards Points: 1,992

Nope, sorry. I'm with Alta. Hire a pro.
From the tone of your post this is my best advice.
Sometimes I feel like if I answer any more questions it is like someone trying to climb over a fence to jump off a bridge and me giving them a boost.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #4
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 377
Rewards Points: 250

At least in my case, any overhead wiring from the meter to street is POCO's responsibility.

Are we talking about the same thing or something else?
allthumbsdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 3,045
Rewards Points: 2,990

In many areas, the conductors on the line side of the meter are the power company's responsibility. If they are not, then you will need to hire a pro to do this. Working on the line side of the meter is not within your skill level.
I am a lawyer, but not your lawyer. And who cares anyways? We're here to talk construction. This is DIY advice, not legal advice.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:25 PM   #6
dmxtothemax's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Brisbane, Australia.
Posts: 4,325
Rewards Points: 5,608

You need to find out for sure who's responsible for
the wiring from the street to the meter ?
Most area's it's poco's responsibility.
But some area's it's your's !
Do you know for sure ?
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:13 AM   #7
" Euro " electrician
frenchelectrican's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI & France { in France for now }
Posts: 5,369
Rewards Points: 2,000

I am seriouslly that you have to hire a electrician to come out and do this one due you have mobile home they have it own rules to follow and there is few specific way to do this in proper way.

This is not really a DIY area due many POCO are getting strict on this one.

I do not know if they (Inspector / permit office ) willing to give you the permit due there is few sticky issue is one is ., is your service is on the mobile home park or on privite property if on mobile home park ( it don't matter overhead or Underground ) it have to be done by electrician there is no loopholes on that one.



The answer will be based on NEC ( National Electrical code ) or CEC ( Cananda Electrical code ) or ECF ( Electrique Code France )
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Proper way to ground a subpanel chieftaing Electrical 25 04-03-2011 10:22 AM
Electrical Questions from a Foreigner mark_anderson_u Electrical 4 09-10-2010 06:46 AM
For stacked dryer/washer - where to locate electrical outlets and water supply lines Cliffhanger Electrical 3 09-05-2010 09:48 AM
Electrical Panel Upgrade & Main Water Shut Off DIYerIT Electrical 2 09-02-2010 02:42 PM
Just for fun Andy in ATL Electrical 56 10-20-2009 09:33 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1