Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

electrical

the main line comes out of the meter that is attached on this pole, just lower. this line needs replaced, its from the early 1970s. its wrapped in rotting away fabric and the ground wire is visible the whole way up.
paying an electrician i cannot do. I have rewired a lot of interior electrical problems in the home already. subpanel in the basement with a circuit having 10 outlets on it!

i called the POCO and they say they will turn the power off for it to be replaced. what do i need to replace this line? what kind of line? i think its only 60 amp, not sure. those connectors/fuses in the picture are what? connecting into the meter....do i need a new meter or anything for that?
from this pole the line runs about 50 feet horizontally to a small transformer on another pole. i have a clear picture of that and will post it if need be. do i need to replace that horizontal line all the way to the transformer? that line is in good shape actually and i would like to replace just the vertical wire.
thank you. i will take it all into consideration responsibly.
Attached Thumbnails
electrical-img_0509.jpg   electrical-img_0510.jpg  

gly35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #2

electrical

Well, after reading your post I would suggest you call a professional. I wouldn't even open anything in the area until all the power was off because of the condition it is in.

If you want to know, you would the wiring to the top of the pole to the meter base, replace the meter base, the piping and wiring to the service box, and likely also a new service box. Considering the condition it is in, it likely needs to be moved to a different location or installed in a different type of enclosure.

AltaSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 54

electrical

Nope, sorry. I'm with Alta. Hire a pro.
From the tone of your post this is my best advice.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #4

electrical

At least in my case, any overhead wiring from the meter to street is POCO's responsibility.

Are we talking about the same thing or something else?
allthumbsdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

electrical

In many areas, the conductors on the line side of the meter are the power company's responsibility. If they are not, then you will need to hire a pro to do this. Working on the line side of the meter is not within your skill level.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:25 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 36

electrical

You need to find out for sure who's responsible for
the wiring from the street to the meter ?
Most area's it's poco's responsibility.
But some area's it's your's !
Do you know for sure ?
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:13 AM   #7
" Euro " electrician

electrical

I am seriouslly that you have to hire a electrician to come out and do this one due you have mobile home they have it own rules to follow and there is few specific way to do this in proper way.

This is not really a DIY area due many POCO are getting strict on this one.

I do not know if they (Inspector / permit office ) willing to give you the permit due there is few sticky issue is one is ., is your service is on the mobile home park or on privite property if on mobile home park ( it don't matter overhead or Underground ) it have to be done by electrician there is no loopholes on that one.

Merci,
Marc