DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   electrical (

gly35 10-01-2012 06:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
the main line comes out of the meter that is attached on this pole, just lower. this line needs replaced, its from the early 1970s. its wrapped in rotting away fabric and the ground wire is visible the whole way up.
paying an electrician i cannot do. I have rewired a lot of interior electrical problems in the home already. subpanel in the basement with a circuit having 10 outlets on it!

i called the POCO and they say they will turn the power off for it to be replaced. what do i need to replace this line? what kind of line? i think its only 60 amp, not sure. those connectors/fuses in the picture are what? connecting into the i need a new meter or anything for that?
from this pole the line runs about 50 feet horizontally to a small transformer on another pole. i have a clear picture of that and will post it if need be. do i need to replace that horizontal line all the way to the transformer? that line is in good shape actually and i would like to replace just the vertical wire.
thank you. i will take it all into consideration responsibly.

AltaSparky 10-01-2012 06:29 PM

Well, after reading your post I would suggest you call a professional. I wouldn't even open anything in the area until all the power was off because of the condition it is in.

If you want to know, you would the wiring to the top of the pole to the meter base, replace the meter base, the piping and wiring to the service box, and likely also a new service box. Considering the condition it is in, it likely needs to be moved to a different location or installed in a different type of enclosure.

Speedy Petey 10-01-2012 07:19 PM

Nope, sorry. I'm with Alta. Hire a pro.
From the tone of your post this is my best advice.

allthumbsdiy 10-01-2012 07:29 PM

At least in my case, any overhead wiring from the meter to street is POCO's responsibility.

Are we talking about the same thing or something else?

mpoulton 10-01-2012 07:51 PM

In many areas, the conductors on the line side of the meter are the power company's responsibility. If they are not, then you will need to hire a pro to do this. Working on the line side of the meter is not within your skill level.

dmxtothemax 10-01-2012 11:25 PM

You need to find out for sure who's responsible for
the wiring from the street to the meter ?
Most area's it's poco's responsibility.
But some area's it's your's !
Do you know for sure ?

frenchelectrican 10-02-2012 12:13 AM

I am seriouslly that you have to hire a electrician to come out and do this one due you have mobile home they have it own rules to follow and there is few specific way to do this in proper way.

This is not really a DIY area due many POCO are getting strict on this one.

I do not know if they (Inspector / permit office ) willing to give you the permit due there is few sticky issue is one is ., is your service is on the mobile home park or on privite property if on mobile home park ( it don't matter overhead or Underground ) it have to be done by electrician there is no loopholes on that one.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1