Electrical - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

electrical

Power goes off in whole house at times. Sometimes at night, during the day, no set time. The breakers are not tripped, but when I turn the main breaker off and on the power comes back on.The breaker box was replaced last week because something "fried" it. The electrician says the new box is working fine and that is not the problem. He seems at a loss and suggests we call the power company. Any idea what could be wrong? Does what he said sound reasonable? Thank you, Beth

Advertisement

Last edited by estaff; 07-03-2012 at 10:59 AM.
estaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,008

electrical

Call the power company asap. Right now today!

Advertisement

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J. V. For This Useful Post:
estaff (07-07-2012), seansy59 (07-03-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,048

electrical

You need to be checking for loose connections. Because the whole house loses and regains power at once you want to check the breaker box and on upstream to the utility pole connection. The power company will have to do the checking from the meater on upstream.

Does the power come back on by itself without your touching the main breaker?

Last edited by AllanJ; 07-03-2012 at 01:44 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllanJ For This Useful Post:
estaff (07-07-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

electrical

Please follow these instructions immediately:

1. Turn off the Main Breaker
2. Call power company

If needed to keep food cold in refrigerator in the meantime, borrow power off a fellow neighbor using at least a 14ga. extension cord.

What you have here is most likely a problem on the POCO's end, and can do damage to the appliances in your house, since it sounds like a loose neutral. Since an electrician confirmed that your box is not the problem then it is the POCO's end.

If it was one of the hot legs coming in (120v leg of the 240v), then it would just be half of your house, but since its everything intermittently, it is possibly a neutral.
seansy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to seansy59 For This Useful Post:
estaff (07-07-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,324

electrical

After you do this, fire your electrician!
estaff (07-07-2012), seansy59 (07-03-2012), stickboy1375 (07-03-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 05:53 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 824

electrical

Aways do a new service complete.
bobelectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

electrical

Thank you for your advice! Power company called. They will be out in a few days. The house I wrote about was my daughter's. She has just spent 3 days somewhere else waiting to get the breaker box fixed when all this happened and I don't think she will turn off the power at this point. BUT I did tell her what you said. And I hope for the best. She said she is not sure if the power would come on by itself. Said she never waited that long. I am not going to use this electrician again for reasons other than competency. I don't know about the latter. Do you think I (I/she) should get another electrician to check his work? Thanks again! estaff
estaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,008

electrical

Quote:
Originally Posted by estaff View Post
Thank you for your advice! Power company called. They will be out in a few days. The house I wrote about was my daughter's. She has just spent 3 days somewhere else waiting to get the breaker box fixed when all this happened and I don't think she will turn off the power at this point. BUT I did tell her what you said. And I hope for the best. She said she is not sure if the power would come on by itself. Said she never waited that long. I am not going to use this electrician again for reasons other than competency. I don't know about the latter. Do you think I (I/she) should get another electrician to check his work? Thanks again! estaff
3 days is not right and the power company should come immediately for a possible safety issue.
Call again and tell them its a safety issue, because it very well could be and most likely is.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J. V. For This Useful Post:
estaff (07-07-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #9
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

electrical

Try grabbing the meter and wiggling it. If there is a loose connection in there the power may blink indicating you have a bad connection.

Also, listen for hissing, crackling, or buzzing noises from your meter box.

There are other places that may have a loose or bad connection that the power company will need to check as well. It could even be on the high voltage side of their transformer ...

As others have stated, 3 days is far too long for a utility to respond .... UNLESS they are involved with extensive storm damage and repair operations as some are at this time.

Advertisement

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kbsparky For This Useful Post:
estaff (07-07-2012)