Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2011, 10:19 PM   #1

Share |

Electrical

I need a little guidance. Here's the situation. I want to install a new switch/outlet in my patio. The main power supply feeding the existing junction box in the patio has 4 wires; black, white, pink and copper. The junction box gives power to a light switch and to the garage out back. There are 5 wire nuts connecting things so far. I have tried connecting the new switch wires in different combinations, but can't get the outlet to work. Since it's a GFCI plug, the green light comes on, but when I plug something in, it doesn't work. There's got to be an easy solution, I hope. Is there someone out there that can help. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks Art

spatznannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:59 PM   #2

Electrical

Art,

For a receptacle, you need a Hot wire (black), and a Neutral (white) wire, plus the bare copper wire for the ground. If you have a voltmeter, or something else to indicate voltage, try and find the hot wire. Do this by placing the leads of the tester between a white and a black. If you get 120V, you have the two wires you need for the outlet.

In the case of GFCI, you want to land the black and white wires on the side of the GFCI that says LINE.

If you can post a pic, that iwll help us better.

sirsparksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sirsparksalot For This Useful Post:
spatznannie (06-10-2011)
Old 06-10-2011, 07:07 AM   #3
Lic Electrical Inspector

Electrical

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatznannie View Post
I need a little guidance. Here's the situation. I want to install a new switch/outlet in my patio. The main power supply feeding the existing junction box in the patio has 4 wires; black, white, pink and copper. The junction box gives power to a light switch and to the garage out back. There are 5 wire nuts connecting things so far. I have tried connecting the new switch wires in different combinations, but can't get the outlet to work. Since it's a GFCI plug, the green light comes on, but when I plug something in, it doesn't work. There's got to be an easy solution, I hope. Is there someone out there that can help. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks Art
SOunds like you are trying to connect it to a 3way switch circuit.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #4

Electrical

Ok, I seem to be getting power to the plug because the light on the gfci plug comes on. But when I plug in my can opener and push down, the gfci light dims and the can opener doesn't work. The black wire from the junction box goes to the brass screw, the white wire goes to the silver screw and the ground goes to the ground screw. What seems to be missing?
spatznannie is offline   Reply With Quote