DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

electric wiring in house remodel

10K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  wis_remod 
#1 ·
As a long time reader, but not often poster I have some questions regarding installing new wiring in house remodel.
1) I realize that junction boxes have to be accessible & this is where I have a problem. In running some new wiring I would like to replace the old sections of wiring (old cloth covered type - 60± yrs old) that are uncovered. This means splicing in the middle of the run. However, it would also be an area that is going to covered with drywall in a finished room so an access opening is not possible. The total run cannot be replaced since the wire runs up into other areas that are not being redone. I really kind of hate to just cover up the old wiring again with out doing something to better it. Is there some way to accomplish this?
2) in new construction there are requirements for fastening/securing wiring to joists, studs, etc., but evidently in remodeling where new wire is fished through walls and ceilings this is not a problem - other than fastening at boxes?
3) lastly, had an licensed electrician tell me that when running new wiring in basement that runs of gray pvc electrical conduit can be used for runs perpendicular to joists instead of drilling new holes in joists. Where wires exit to run with joists can put in a "T" for wires to exit from. For example have 2" pvc conduit run along outside perimeter of basement and have 7 or 8 20A wires loose in them then have exit @ a "T" to go where they have to go. Anyone heard of this before? Is it allowed? He installed my new 200A box that was permitted & passed inspection.

Thanks,
Rob

See less See more
#4 ·
One way you can deal with existing boxes that need to be accessible is to simply extend them to the depth of the drywall and use a blank cover. If they are too far away from the drywall, such as a soffit condition; simply install an access panel or a false air duct grille over the box.

#5 ·
There's probably not much benefit in only replacing part of a run. Your still leaving in a section of old wire and your adding a break in the wire that could become loose. If the old wire's bad then you don't want to leave in a section of it. If it's not bad then why replace part of it and add a break?

So my vote is replace the whole thing or leave it as is.

#6 ·
1) The total run cannot be replaced since the wire runs up into other areas that are not being redone. I really kind of hate to just cover up the old wiring again with out doing something to better it. Is there some way to accomplish this?

2) in new construction there are requirements for fastening/securing wiring to joists, studs, etc., but evidently in remodeling where new wire is fished through walls and ceilings this is not a problem - other than fastening at boxes?

3) lastly, had an licensed electrician tell me that when running new wiring in basement that runs of gray pvc electrical conduit can be used for runs perpendicular to joists instead of drilling new holes in joists. Where wires exit to run with joists can put in a "T" for wires to exit from. For example have 2" pvc conduit run along outside perimeter of basement and have 7 or 8 20A wires loose in them then have exit @ a "T" to go where they have to go. Anyone heard of this before? Is it allowed? He installed my new 200A box that was permitted & passed inspection.

Thanks,
Rob
#1 Run all new wire or leave it alone. Adding a junction box & new set of connections & leaving some old wire does not gain you anything IMO. In my house I have only replaced the old cloth wiring when I can
a) replace the entire run
b) leave an exposed junction box in the basement (once only)

#2 Fishing wires thru existing walls you are not required to fasten the wire in the hidden space

#3 Most of my runs are along the joists. In some places I have drilled holes to go thru a few joists. If you are finishing the basement & adding a ceiling conduit & individual wires may be a good option. I would not put NMB wire in conduit except as a short sleeve (less then 24")

I would not do the 2" conduit myself

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.