Electric Wiring For Fluorescent Lamp - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2008, 11:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
electric wiring for fluorescent lamp

Hi

I've searched the forum and the web and I can't find an answer for my situation. Here's what's going on.

I have two instant start fluorescent lamp (two 4 feet tubes each lamp). When you get them out of the box each lamp comes with a 2' cable ending in a 3 stud plug. Need less to say 2 feet cable is not long enough.

So I cut the plugs, wire white with white , black with black and green with green of the two lamps. Then I run a cable and wire it in the same color scheme with the lamps. The new cable ends in a plug that I just connect to the wall outlet. The lamps work for one or two weeks.

But eventually 1 of the lamps dies. The first time I knew getting a ballast was not cost effective so I got a new lamp. I installed and re-wired. Worked for a week the other lamp died. Someone told me I'm getting a bad batch of lamps. I have now 3 dead lamps. However I think is a wiring issue.

Should I try to run them in serial instead of parrallel like now ?

how the wiring go ?
lamp1 white to lamp2 black
lamp1 black to outlet black
lamp2 white to outlet white
all greens together

Or could it be the type of lamp that isn't made to be shared in the same circuit ?

I refuse to lose this fight help

Thanks

Advertisement

toronbolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:23 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,008

When you purchase a lamp with cord that you do not want to use, I would remove the cord. Not cut the cord and extend the cord. Remove the cord from the inside of the lamps. Leave all the covers off. Jump from lamp to lamp with romex or equivalent. Cords are not permitted in permanent installations. Then take the last cable and tie it into a switch. If you must, you can put a plug on that end.

If the lights work for one week, two week it is not in your wiring. It is either the ballasts or tubes. I get bad tubes in brand new boxes all the time. I just collect them until I go back to the supply house and return them.
Just because something is new, does not mean it is bad.

Have you checked the voltage feeding the lamps? If not, check it. If it high, then the ballast output will also be high and possibly burning out the tubes prematurely.

Advertisement

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:04 PM   #3
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Did you check the bulb wattage ?? most instat start ballast will label to tell you what type of bulb to use on that one like example F32T-8 or F40T12 or F34T12 ?? because some of them will not work with the ballast and just check it out as well to make sure they match up.

Merci, Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,514

Your wiring was correct. Parallel is the proper way. Sounds like cheap lamps. Too bad you cut the cords. I would have returned them under warranty.

Last edited by joed; 03-24-2008 at 01:42 PM.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote