Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2009, 09:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Electric wiring

I believe I have a wiring problem from my circuit breaker box to my Pressure Water Tank. It seems I have no water and the relay at the top of the tank was replaced last week. After replacement it worked fine until today. For some strange reason I decided to check to see if it had power. I used a circuit/wire tester. I touched the wire going from the circuit box and followed it to the relay, the strange thing is it lit up until I got to a certain point on the wiring. So, my question is, is it possible for the half of the wiring to be bad. The wiring is encased so I cannot tell if it bad, there is nothing exposed.

AMPIN88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:31 PM   #2
Tinkerer

Rewards Points: 0
Lightbulb

Electric wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPIN88 View Post
I believe I have a wiring problem from my circuit breaker box to my Pressure Water Tank. It seems I have no water and the relay at the top of the tank was replaced last week. After replacement it worked fine until today. For some strange reason I decided to check to see if it had power. I used a circuit/wire tester. I touched the wire going from the circuit box and followed it to the relay, the strange thing is it lit up until I got to a certain point on the wiring. So, my question is, is it possible for the half of the wiring to be bad. The wiring is encased so I cannot tell if it bad, there is nothing exposed.
One way to check for bad wiring would be to disconnect each conductor entirely from the breaker and the relay and tank.
Connect each conductor, one at a time, to ground in the circuit breaker box.
Use an Ohmmeter at the tank side and place one lead from the Ohmmeter to the grounded conductor and the other lead to ground.
You should have zero ohms if the conductor is OK.
You should also check for continuity between each each conductor to ascertain there is no short between any of the conductors.

You can also measure for ohms on the relay coil (unplug it from the tank) to see if it may be open or shorted.

dynamo is offline   Reply With Quote