Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2010, 06:51 AM   #1

Share |

Electric water heater not working

My hot water doesnt stay hot for more than 4-5 mins at a time and it takes really long time to recover, what could be the problem. Take into consideration that this is a new unit. Thanks

charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:04 AM   #2

There are usually two heating elements, top and bottom. One may not be working or is set for the wrong temp. They usually have a popout breaker in the thermostat, that may be tripped. CAUTION, 240VAC on those wires.

Another possibility, the dip tube that feeds cold water to the bottom of the tank may have broken. The dilutes the hot water at the top with cold, making it seem that the heaters are not working.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:31 AM   #3

get a replacement under warrenty.Don't mess with it!
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:06 AM   #4
Electrician

Assuming this is a standard household water heater supplied by a 240 volt circuit, step one is to verify that it is receiving 240 volts from the panel using a voltmeter.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobelectric View Post
get a replacement under warrenty.Don't mess with it!
Thats what I would do. Get a new one.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:13 AM   #6
Household Handyman

Sounds like a unit I had to troubleshoot recently. A young lady had her Dad install a new unit in her house. The new unit took a long time to heat the water and when she took a shower or washed dishes, the hot water ran out quickly. The unit was getting full 220V power, the dip tube was fine, all was well until I got to checking the thermostats. It took me a while to find this one. This unit allowed only one thermostat at a time to come on. The bottom unit had to have the temp satisfied before allowing the top thermostat to come on. Really weird to me. After questioning the lady, they bought the "one she could afford"--the cheapest one. I changed out the thermostats for "quick recovery" units and all was well. I would check to see if yours is a "quick recovery" type or one like this unit was. You may be able to exchange it under warranty. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:43 PM   #7

I purchased this unit at Sears, a kenmore 55 gallon water heater. I purchased this unit about a month ago with problems from the start.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Sounds like a unit I had to troubleshoot recently. A young lady had her Dad install a new unit in her house. The new unit took a long time to heat the water and when she took a shower or washed dishes, the hot water ran out quickly. The unit was getting full 220V power, the dip tube was fine, all was well until I got to checking the thermostats. It took me a while to find this one. This unit allowed only one thermostat at a time to come on. The bottom unit had to have the temp satisfied before allowing the top thermostat to come on. Really weird to me. After questioning the lady, they bought the "one she could afford"--the cheapest one. I changed out the thermostats for "quick recovery" units and all was well. I would check to see if yours is a "quick recovery" type or one like this unit was. You may be able to exchange it under warranty. David
The top element is supposed to come on (and in most cases the bottom element goes off) when cold water gets near the top of the tank. When the top of the tank is heated the power is switched back to the bottom element. The heater being referred to could have been incorrectly wired internally at the factory.

Water heaters that allow both elements to be on at the same time require a higher ampere branch circuit and some homes might not be able to handle them without an electrical service upgrade.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:17 PM   #9
Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
The top element is supposed to come on (and in most cases the bottom element goes off) when cold water gets near the top of the tank. When the top of the tank is heated the power is switched back to the bottom element. The heater being referred to could have been incorrectly wired internally at the factory.

Water heaters that allow both elements to be on at the same time require a higher ampere branch circuit and some homes might not be able to handle them without an electrical service upgrade.
I believe you are correct Allan.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:10 PM   #10

I was told by someone that maybe the person that installed it may have done a 'dry run" so the top element maybe shot. Its a 5500w element so its possible I have to purchase another one
Old 04-04-2010, 04:25 PM   #11

http://www.wikihow.com/Test-a-Water-Heater-Thermostat

Be safe, Gary
Old 04-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #12

Whoever installed it should be called back and given only the information that it heats real slow.