Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 502
Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Electric Wall heaters

I am working on installing 2 new electric wall heaters, one in a 4 season porch, and another in a basement bedroom directly below the porch. The bedroom is small and is getting a 750watt heater, while the 4 season porch is getting a 1200 watt heater. I plan on running just one 220 circuit for both of them with a 12 gauge wire and a 15 amp circuit (total calculated current draw is a little over 8 amps). I have a wire path figured out and can connect both pretty easily but it will mean having 3 12/2's in a box with a thermostat. The thermostat says it requires a minimum of 21 cu. in (sorry I don't have the details on the thermostat) though I can't seem to find an old work box bigger than 20 cu. in, looking to see what the opinion is of the people here. Is 20 cu. in that much too small for 2 12/2's and the t-stat (upstairs location); I will probably end up cutting open the wall bigger in the basement bedroom and putting in a 4" square box and mud ring for the 3 12/2's and the t-stat just to have enough space. Would like to minimize the holes upstairs to only what's needed, basement isn't so much a concern as there will be a couple other holes to run the wire anyway.

theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:47 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Electric Wall heaters

I don't like to connect multiple wires at switches, thermostats, GFCI's, etc. These take up too much space in the box...

Rather I only run the wires needed to these, then make the splices elsewhere. Like a junction box in the attic or crawlspace. Or at light fixture (plenty of room there!).

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Electric Wall heaters

You could use a surface mount with full off/positive break.

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/Pro...?SKU=998020676
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:14 PM   #4

Electric Wall heaters

Unfortunately the thermostats have already been purchased and were bought through a friend who gets a great discount on the heaters and thermostats. But thinking about the surface mount idea, I might look into a single gang wiremold box extender, those will add about an extra inch and will certainly add up to more than the 21 cu. in required by the thermostat.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

Electric Wall heaters

Your first post seems to indicate you are using one thermostat but then you say the thermostats have been purchased. Will both rooms have a t-stat?
Why are you running #12 wire? #14 is good for 12 amps continuous and you are only looking at 8+ and you said you will use 15 amp breakers.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:15 AM   #6

Electric Wall heaters

Yes, each room will have its own independent t-stat. They were out of 14/2 when I bought the wire, thought I was going to have time to start running it this weekend but didn't have time. I might see if I can find some 14/2 instead before I start running it, since now I'm going to have a few days before I will have time to work on it.

My concern is of the box size and what the t-stat says it needs and with the number of wires in each box. The plan is the feed will enter the t-stat box in the bedroom downstairs, feed the heater in the bedroom and also run upstairs to that t-stat and ultimately up to the heater.