Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 24
Share |
Default

Electric socket by shower


How far from a shower door should I go before putting in electric socket? I know I should use gcfi correct.How about my exhaust fan it says ok for shower should it be above the shower?It has a light also .

ndmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
E2 Electrician
 
stickboy1375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 4,632
Default

Electric socket by shower


Quote:
Originally Posted by ndmick View Post
How far from a shower door should I go before putting in electric socket?
Anywhere outside of the tub perimeter is fine. GFCI required.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ndmick View Post
How about my exhaust fan it says ok for shower should it be above the shower?It has a light also .
GFCI is only required IF the manufacture requires it... so read the manual for this answer.

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
A "Handy Husband"
 
rjniles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Carolina Low Country
Posts: 3,896
Default

Electric socket by shower


You can place a fan and/or light directly above the shower if it is GFCI protected.
__________________
Location:
Coastal South Carolina
rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
E2 Electrician
 
stickboy1375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 4,632
Default

Electric socket by shower


Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
You can place a fan and/or light directly above the shower if it is GFCI protected.
It only needs to be GFCI protected if the manufacture requires it.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
Retired from the grind
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest - Central Illinois
Posts: 13,733
Default

Electric socket by shower


Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
It only needs to be GFCI protected if the manufacture requires it.
Actually local codes can trump what you stated.
__________________
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 24
Default

Electric socket by shower


Then should I wire the bath vent and light after a GCFI socket or run a separate line to it?Or use a GCFI breaker?
ndmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #7
E2 Electrician
 
stickboy1375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 4,632
Default

Electric socket by shower


Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Actually local codes can trump what you stated.
Of course, but I don't have that amendment. And its a ridiculous amendment to begin with.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #8
E2 Electrician
 
stickboy1375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 4,632
Default

Electric socket by shower


Quote:
Originally Posted by ndmick View Post
Then should I wire the bath vent and light after a GCFI socket or run a separate line to it?Or use a GCFI breaker?
Using a GFCI will be cheaper, plus you can test/reset the GFCI if you install it in the bathroom with ease.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #9
Wire Chewer
 
Red Squirrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,198
Default

Electric socket by shower


Regardless of what code or manufacturer says I think it's a smart idea to use a GFCI regardless. Then again I have a light above my shower that's not (it's sealed). For some reason the GFCI outlet in the same switch box does not like the timer switch I used so it trips. In a new construction situation I would definitely do it.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #10
E2 Electrician
 
stickboy1375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 4,632
Default

Electric socket by shower


Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
Regardless of what code or manufacturer says I think it's a smart idea to use a GFCI regardless. Then again I have a light above my shower that's not (it's sealed). For some reason the GFCI outlet in the same switch box does not like the timer switch I used so it trips. In a new construction situation I would definitely do it.
I guess I just look at it as being pointless, so I don't see the need for it.... With that said, it certainly won't hurt anything either.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:05 PM   #11
Member
 
Missouri Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Almost Arkansas
Posts: 2,764
Default

Electric socket by shower


Why is it pointless? GFCI's are required in damp or wet locations, right?
__________________
Do you want it your way or the right way?
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #12
Licensed Electrician
 
k_buz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 4,336
Default

Electric socket by shower


Most bathfans I install (Broan/Nutone) have exposed receptacles under the trim, since this is a damp location, those would need the protection along with the motor.
__________________
__________________________________________________ ______________
Answers based on the National Electric Code. Always check local amendments.


k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:02 AM   #13
E2 Electrician
 
stickboy1375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 4,632
Default

Electric socket by shower


Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
Most bathfans I install (Broan/Nutone) have exposed receptacles under the trim, since this is a damp location, those would need the protection along with the motor.
Ugh... really? Where in the NEC did you find that requirement? With that line of thinking, you wouldn't be able to install a fan in a shower area at all because of 406.8(C).

Last edited by stickboy1375; 06-05-2012 at 06:07 AM.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:43 AM   #14
Licensed Electrician
 
k_buz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 4,336
Default

Electric socket by shower


Yeah, I pulled that one from my butt, but think about it...

The difference between a recessed light over a tub and a fan over the tub is the fact that shower trims are sealed so no moisture can get inside the can. Obviously fans are designed so air is allowed to get inside the trim.

You are correct that the NEC doesn't require GFI protection for exhaust fans over a shower/tub, but I just looked thru 5 Broan fans and all of them require GFI proyection over a tub or shower.
__________________
__________________________________________________ ______________
Answers based on the National Electric Code. Always check local amendments.


k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (06-05-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 07:18 AM   #15
E2 Electrician
 
stickboy1375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 4,632
Default

Electric socket by shower


Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
Yeah, I pulled that one from my butt, but think about it...

The difference between a recessed light over a tub and a fan over the tub is the fact that shower trims are sealed so no moisture can get inside the can. Obviously fans are designed so air is allowed to get inside the trim.

You are correct that the NEC doesn't require GFI protection for exhaust fans over a shower/tub, but I just looked thru 5 Broan fans and all of them require GFI proyection over a tub or shower.
I think you're missin the point why gfci protection is required in general, it has nothing to do with moisture, in an application where the egc can be compromised, such as a corded tool and the ground pin being broken off, then gfci is required as a second means of protection, but when you have an exhaust fan or a recessed light where the EGC is not going to be compromised then why require it? Look at it this way, the fixture can't possibly be energized with the EGC in place, so no shock hazard is ever going to exist.. Hence the gfci protection is just not needed... Also, how many post lights or outdoor fixtures have you installed with gfci protection?

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pros Cons All Electric Home??? Property Virgin Electrical 29 03-06-2013 05:33 AM
Complete bathroom redesign- need help with shower placement Liv Kitchen & Bath Remodeling 0 03-08-2012 12:00 PM
How to tile around a Pre fab shower base geoffthemonk Building & Construction 1 11-07-2009 09:10 AM
Honey, I'm going to re-caulk the shower... homebound Remodeling 1 02-10-2009 09:11 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.