Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-24-2005, 10:53 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1
Share |
Question

Electric shower overheating


I have just removed my electric shower due to the front getting warm.When i removed the front cover i discovered that the terminals to the actual water heater were discoloured and melted slightly,i am going to replace the shower with a new one but would first like to know if this fault lies within this shower unit or is the problem elsewhere.The shower is a 9.5kw and have been told by an electrician the the wiring from the fuse box to pull switch to shower unit is ample.

haypee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 10:26 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 41
Default

Electric shower overheating


Yes the cross sectional area of the cable is important. If the electrician says it is ample then use it again but with one proviso:

Hopefully you will have some spare cable to pull through because you will have to trim back the cable until you find nice shiny conductors. because the terminals have been damaged by heat they may no longer carry as much current as they used to and this will cause them to overheat again.

It shouldn't cause you too many problems as you could always position your new unit slightly lower and gain some cable that way.

All the best

nicknackynoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.