Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2009, 08:32 AM   #1
j56

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

electric service

I have built an all metal shop building that will be fed from overhead service wires. The utility pole has the meter and my service disconnect box located there. My question is, my service panel in my shop, do I bond my neutral to ground there and take three wires out of the stack, or do I keep them separate and take out four wires? This is 120/240 service, 200 amp.

j56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:31 AM   #2

electric service

Quote:
I have built an all metal shop building that will be fed from overhead service wires. The utility pole has the meter and my service disconnect box located there. My question is, my service panel in my shop, do I bond my neutral to ground there and take three wires out of the stack, or do I keep them separate and take out four wires? This is 120/240 service, 200 amp
Is the meter atached to the building or is it on a pole? Is the meter on one side and your panel on the other in the shop? need to know a few things to get respond. Can you take a pic and post what you have that would also help

300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:36 AM   #3
" Euro " electrician

electric service

I wondering the same thing as 300zx was talking about.

However if your main breaker is at the Pole location then your load center in the building it have to be 4 conductor set up keep in your mind many locations are allready adopted 2008 NEC code cycle I know few spots still use 2005 NEC code cycle but that slowly going away.

If you want the drawing look up in Stubbie drawing top of the mainfest listing in the top of this and scroll down to 4 wire feeder { it will be near the bottom } that is the correct drawing to give you the idea how to do this in safe manner.

Merci.

Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote