Electric Question From Power Pole To Unit - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Electric question from power pole to unit

We are in the process of re-locating a new to us Ruud 5 ton a/c package unit with heater coils. Model # RSKJ-A060- JK- 000. maun. 9/2004 Under single power to both units max, is 70/70 with heater coil 51/57. We want to draw new power for this larger unit from the breaker box on the pole that has plenty of room to handle the unit. This was how the unit was first installed. The wire from the unit itself to the old service breaker is a 6 gauge wire. I have estimates from three electricial companies and all three have different ways of achieving power from the outside box on the pole to the unit. A fourth from an A/C company that was crazy. Can anyone advise/educate me on what might be the best solution? Things like 100, 80 or 70 amp breaker at the pole? One company wanted to direct wire it to the pole as the pole was in visable site by-passing the install of a service breaker. Another said it must have 4 gauge wire. All the others said 6 gauge. One said at the service breaker the a/c side and the heater side needed seperate breakers. All approaches seem to usable in the approach but, which serves better and is the most cost efficient? This is the only part of the job I'm hiring out. We did the ductwork and removed the old system but feel this part of the job needs a experienced person due to my lack of knowledge in this department. Thanks for any help that can be offered.

Advertisement

Slocalaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slocalaman View Post
I have estimates from three electricial companies and all three have different ways of achieving power from the outside box on the pole to the unit. A fourth from an A/C company that was crazy.
That is pretty troubling.

What is
Distance from unit to pole?
Nameplate data from unit?

What were the dollar amts. for the estimates?

If you can post what they proposed as to distance and wire gauge and copper or alum., the amps and volts you can expect at the load can be figured.

A credible solution might come from the manu. himself; customer satisfaction is in their interest, and for them this is a minor calculation.
Then you ask for at least 5 bids (depending on how many kilobucks we are talking about) on what you spec. for this job.
This will put you in the driver's seat instead of being dragged along by your heels, so to speak.

Advertisement

Last edited by Yoyizit; 11-04-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 506
Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

I don't think you can run to the Pole for powering this unit. If it is being attached to the house, it mut obtain its power from the main panel at the house. You cannot have more than one service feeding a structure. If the main panel you speak of was mounted on the outside of the house, there would be no issue; but because its a pole mounted panel it is considered a separate structure.

Someone else should be able to clarify this a little better if that doesn't make any sense to you.

It sounds like with the current required by this unit that 4 gauge wire would be required, 6 gauge would be too light for a 70 amp load.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

I don't know how much this job should cost.
If you can borrow an RS Means book or peek at it at Border's you'll know more.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...refix=rs+means

If you do get the bids and they plot, for example, as shown below

..........x.......x.x..x..........x
|.......|.......|.......|.......|
0....$500.$1000.$1500.$2000

you can assume that the cluster around $1200 is the true cost of doing this job in your area in 2008 and that all the bidders understand what is required of them and they are using materials of comparable quality.

If, instead, the bids are all over the map then you've got a problem and you need to clarify what you want/need and/or get more bids.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote