Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-26-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
Solutions (handyman)

Share |

Electric motor runs but lacks power.

The motor is from a portable cement mixer, second hand, so may not be the original motor, The motor is a Wagner Leland, type SP AKT6, Model F7 939NH. 1725 RPM, 115v, 5.0 Amp, Rating continous. It ran when I first got it but could not handle the load once I filled the Drum. The pulley ratio looks fine, I think the motor needs some new life. Questions, Should this size motor handle the job? If it should, what need to be done to regain the power? Should it be rebuilt or replaced?
If it is the wrong size, what is recommended?
Thanks

Mark Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 05:51 PM   #2

You may want to do some tests.

Measure the voltage at the motor (as opposed to at the receptacle (outlet). The power cord could be defective causing a severe voltage drop. You may also (carefully) feel every inch of the power cord for unusual warmth which is abnormal and the hot spot is where a defect is in the cord (or plug).

I am guessing that a small cement mixer drum should rotate about 20 rpm or 3 seconds per revolution. If it goes much faster when empty then the pulley ratio might be unfavorable for the motor.

5 amps at 120 volts is a little over 3/4 horsepower.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:10 PM   #3
Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
You may want to do some tests.

Measure the voltage at the motor (as opposed to at the receptacle (outlet). The power cord could be defective causing a severe voltage drop. You may also (carefully) feel every inch of the power cord for unusual warmth which is abnormal and the hot spot is where a defect is in the cord (or plug).

I am guessing that a small cement mixer drum should rotate about 20 rpm or 3 seconds per revolution. If it goes much faster when empty then the pulley ratio might be unfavorable for the motor.

5 amps at 120 volts is a little over 3/4 horsepower.
Sorry, it's closer to 1/4 or 1/3 horsepower.

Last edited by brric; 12-26-2010 at 08:01 PM.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:27 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician

That is wrong motor for this useage and you will need at least minuim of 1/2 HP or larger most common is 3/4 HP and watch the pulley ratio as someone mention before.

The motor you have there is either 1/4 or 1/3 HP the most and it will stall very easy with the load you throw in there.

Merci.
Marc
Old 12-27-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
Solutions (handyman)

Thanks to all. It sounds as if I should just get a new motor ... 3/4 horse. The pully ratio can control the speed but a stall is a stall and doesn't make for a good tool. Thanks again. Any sugested brands or does it reall matter?
Mark Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote