Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2010, 04:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

Electric meter problem

There is something wrong with the second and third dial's (from the left) callibration with my meter. As you see the middle dial (third dial) is pointing in between the 4 and 5 and the second dial is pointing almost directly at the zero (in person it is slightly towards the 9) which means the first dial would also be a 1 rather than being directly pointed at the 2 which it seems(because the second dial has not yet completed its full revolution just yet). But my concern is that the third dial is almost in the middle of its revolution cycle (in between 4 and 5) but the second dial is virtually at the 0 with only a slight lean towards the 9. This should not be the case. If the third dial is in the middle of its revolution the second dial should be in between numbers (it should be almost directly in between the 0 and 9 if not pointing more towards the 9). This is screwing up the way the electric company is reading my kwh use. Think of a clock when it is 7:30 the hour hand does not point directly at the 7 or the 8 but rather in between. That is what dial 3 should be doing when dial 2 is in the middle of its revolution (as the minute hand would be when it is pointing to the 6 or 30min on a clock). Has anyone seen this before or understands what my problem or knows how to correct it?

Last edited by hel1011; 09-20-2010 at 04:47 PM. Reason: insert picture
hel1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Electric meter problem

HOW about a nice close-up picture of your meter?

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:50 PM   #3

Electric meter problem

its up sorry about the delay
Old 09-20-2010, 05:15 PM   #4
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,046

Electric meter problem

There is nothing wrong. As shown your meter's last three dials read 428 kilowatt hours. Suppose you use 400 kwh the next billing period. Your meter will then read 828 kwh on the last three dials. Starting from the right side, each dial goes around ten times for the dial to the left of it to increase one number.

Last edited by brric; 09-20-2010 at 05:20 PM.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:19 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

Electric meter problem

Not sure there is a problem with the center dial. It's position is determined by the dial to it's right. Since the dial to the right is shortly before 3, the center dial should be somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 of the way between two numbers. It seems about right to me. Maybe a bit shy but hard to be exact with these things.

I will agree the dial 2nd from left does appear to read improperly. It should be nearly centered between 2 numbers rather that spot on one.

Quote:
how to correct it?
you call the POCO and tell them. They shouldn't have a problem swapping out the meter for another one.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:28 PM   #6

Electric meter problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
There is nothing wrong. As shown your meter's last three dials read 428 kilowatt hours. Suppose you use 400 kwh the next billing period. Your meter will then read 828 kwh on the last three dials. Starting from the right side, each dial goes around ten times for the dial to the left of it to increase one number.

So in order for the second dial to move one whole number the third dial has to make 10 complete revolutions?
I was under the impression that nap was correct (the number should corresponding to the dial to right like the minute hand to the hour hand on a clock) . But I have very limited knowledge of how this works. The other dials seem to correspond properly with their previous dials.

Last edited by hel1011; 09-20-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:46 PM   #7
Master Electrician

Electric meter problem

The far right dial revolves 10 times in order for the second dial from the right to move from 4 to five, etc.
Sorry this is wrong.
If all the dials are at zero, and the right hand dial goes from zero to zero, the dial to the left will go from zero to one.

Last edited by brric; 09-20-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:53 PM   #8

Electric meter problem

Quote:
The far right dial revolves 10 times in order for the second dial from the right to move from 4 to five, etc.
Sorry this is wrong.
If all the dials are at zero, and the right hand dial goes from zero to zero, the dial to the left will go from zero to one.
correct so now look at the position of the middle dial in relation to the second dial from the left. It is in an incorrect location because if the middle dial is almost half way around its revolution (in between 4 and 5) than the dial to its left should be in between numbers (which it is not it is basically at the 0).
Old 09-20-2010, 05:55 PM   #9
nap
You talking to me?

Electric meter problem

Quote:
right but since they are mechanically connect, as the dial on the right rotates, so does the next dial. As far as I know, all meters of this type use straight gearing and no skip tooth counter gears that would move a pointer one complete division instantly with no incremental motion(from 2 to 3 as an example). Due to that, anytime any given dial moves 1/2 revolution, the dial to it's left will move 1/20 revolution. Since each dial has 10 divisions, that would mean the pointer of the left dial would be exactly in the middle of two divisions.

That means the second from the left dial should be nearly 1/2 of the way between two numbers due to the dial to it's right being after 4 on it's way to 5.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:58 PM   #10
Master Electrician

Electric meter problem

Kilowatt hours

ten thousands, thousands, hundreds, tens, ones

Old 09-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #11
Master Electrician

Electric meter problem

I see your point but if you are correct then you are paying too little as the incorrect reading would be in your favor.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:22 PM   #12

Electric meter problem

Quote:
I see your point but if you are correct then you are paying too little as the incorrect reading would be in your favor.

Actually it cost me more because the second dial was read as a two not a 1 because the one after was a 4 rather than be closer to 9 or something
Old 09-20-2010, 07:23 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,026

Electric meter problem

What hgave your past electric bills been like? Has the meter been read consistently over the past months?

With no big jumps in readings due to misreading the second dial and getting it off some of the time.

Such as, suppose that the monthly reading was as shown and the techician put down 20439.

Then next monty you used 600 kilowatt hours and then the middle dial is on the 0 and the second dial is now between the 0 and the 1. Suppose the technician next reads 20039.

That would put a hiccup in the billing.

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-20-2010 at 07:32 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:32 PM   #14
nap
You talking to me?

Electric meter problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by hel1011 View Post
Actually it cost me more because the second dial was read as a two not a 1 because the one after was a 4 rather than be closer to 9 or something
Huh?

You have the choice of 0 or 9 on the second (from the left) dial . Do you mean the first dial?

If you are talking about a discrepancy concerning either of the left 2 dials, it would alter your bill a lot. If you do not have a bill that is extremely out of sync with the others, the problem has not affected you yet.

I would still simply contact the POCO. They shouldn't have any problem replacing the meter.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,026

Electric meter problem

How long have you lived there? Do you still have the bills from when you moved in?

Tags
electric, meter, reading