Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2011, 08:03 AM   #1

Share |

electric lines to house

How do I re-anchor the conduit for my electric supply lines coming to my house?? The anchor came out of the roof. No bending of conduit yet but want to fix asap to prevent any
geddy erickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:23 AM   #2

electric lines to house

What is ur house made of? What kind of service? Im assuming its a mast going thru the eave...if so, ur probally going to have to open up the wall and put a block of wood as a brace
heartlessmcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:08 AM   #3

electric lines to house

It was screwed in to the roof, support wire, and the anchor came loose so nothing is preventing the tension from the supply lines from bending the mast I believe it is.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
I ask the impossible!

electric lines to house

I believe it sounds like he is talking about a guy wire supporting the mast.

Could you clarify more about what it was attached to, did one end come out or both? Was it a V-shaped support or just one cable? Did the end of the cable go into an eye bolt and the eye bolt pulled out of the wall, or did the eye bolt break, or is the eye bolt still in place but the cable came off of it?

Picture would help.
Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:12 AM   #5

electric lines to house

Hire someone to reattach the mast. See how easy that was?
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:15 AM   #6

electric lines to house

Yes, guide wire supporting mast
Old 05-17-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
I ask the impossible!

electric lines to house

Yeah, I'd agree that for this and with us not knowing how it was built, what the conditions are, or even if the original setup was correct this is not necessarily a DIY repair.. It is possible that it came out because it wasn't adequate to begin with and there might be some damage you aren't aware of if it was properly setup but was damaged by wind... And if it was weather related and gets pricey you might be able to file an insurance claim.

Service mast support requirements seems to be something that varies by local jurisdiction, but it seems like what I've seen when I've searched in relation to my own project is that guy wire support is required when the mast extends more than 30" above the roof, and when it's required they want to see it in a V shaped with particular requirements on maximum and minimum allowed angles and so forth and there's load ratings for the wires, the attachments will have anchoring requirements and there should probably be a plate or something... Fixing it right probably will involve someone that knows what they're doing, and doing less could mean it breaks again and you might end up with a mast falling over and hanging down to the ground.
Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WillK For This Useful Post:
geddy erickson (05-17-2011)