Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2005, 10:52 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Electric Hot Water Heater Cooked?

hi,

a friend of mine just called me a said that his electric hot water heater got the water scorching hot, then tripped the breaker, and now it doesnt heat the water at all! i havent looked at it yet but wanted to get some insight on what could have caused this first. my first guess would be a power surge that got the heating element super hot then tripped the breaker, but would it take that long to trip the breaker? or maybe a bad thermostat? any help will be greatly appreciated!

bob

bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:24 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

I would go with a bad thermostat, If the stat does not open, then the elements will continue to heat the water. Did the pop off pop?
If the pop off popped, then it may have been low on water causing the element to short or open and trip the breaker.

Old 09-07-2005, 11:52 AM   #3

you probably have a bad thermostat that caused the water to get too hot, which in turn caused the temperature high-limit switch to kick off. This switch has to be re-set manually - look for a button that needs to pushed in. This should allow the water to re-heat again, but if the thermostat is bad, it will happen all over again.
BigA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 03:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan
I would go with a bad thermostat, If the stat does not open, then the elements will continue to heat the water. Did the pop off pop?
If the pop off popped, then it may have been low on water causing the element to short or open and trip the breaker.

Water heaters do not get "low" on water. Potable water systems are a closed system and do not contain air or pockets. Unless serviced and then the system should be bled before the service tech leaves the job!

I would go with you're recommendation that the thermo may be bad. However, depending on the age of the heater it may be easier and cheaper to replace the heater!
plumguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 06:37 AM   #5
Electrical Contractor

thanks for keeping me on the up and up plumguy!
Old 09-09-2005, 03:15 PM   #6

Question

HI,

well it looks like im gonna be replacing the water heater. he told me the water heater came with the trailer, 1984! next question, how? ive never done this, but looks pretty cut and dry. water in, water out, mark all electrical connections, make sure its sitting level and solid. turn off water suppy, and main breaker(taking no chances, water and 240v dont mix well!) when u say bleed system, from where do i bleed? open pop off til steady flow of water? bleeders in elbows? help!!!!

bob
bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 06:44 PM   #7

As you are filling the heater remove the aerator from the fitchen faucet and turn on the hot. Keep it open until you hear the heater fill and you get a steady flow of water. Reinstall aerator and turn on the power to the heater! Very important! Don't turn power on until heater is full of water!! Good Luck!!
Old 09-09-2005, 06:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan
thanks for keeping me on the up and up plumguy!
Hey, no charge! But, when I'm stumped electrically I'll come looking for you!!