Electric Fireplace Was Used And Burnt The Outlet - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2011, 10:26 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: southwestern new york
Posts: 94
Rewards Points: 75
Default

electric fireplace was used and burnt the outlet


This has happened twice. The first time, I took the fireplace back to the sotre thinking it was defective. Label states auto shutoff- yes but- the outlet and wire brown and burnt. Second one purchased and used-auto shut off but same thing. I have to replace the outlet - and- this is a different outlet I used for the second time at this. Is there something that can be done at the electric box? Its not the fireplace that has the issue, so need to know how to make something "right" so I can use it again. Thanks, I don't want to burn my house down. Overall, are these things safe?

Advertisement

brenda o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
Member
 
joed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Welland, Ontario
Posts: 8,360
Rewards Points: 3,514
Blog Entries: 4
Default

electric fireplace was used and burnt the outlet


The plug on the unit and the receptacle are not making good contact. That is causing it to overheat the plug. Replace the receptacle with new good quality one. Don't buy the 59 cent ones.

Advertisement

__________________
Do not PM with questions that can be asked in a forum. I will not respond.

Last edited by joed; 05-27-2011 at 10:45 AM.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joed For This Useful Post:
brenda o (06-01-2011)
Old 05-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cairns Australia
Posts: 2,710
Rewards Points: 2,380
Default

electric fireplace was used and burnt the outlet


First of all check that the current capacity of the outlet is not
being exceeded.
Check the current draw of the fireplace.

Now it is not unusual for recepticals and plugs to get
rather warm if they are running close to maximum capacity.

But if they are getting so hot that they burn,
then there is a problem.

First of all replace the receptical with a GOOD quality unit,
dirty contacts can cause overheating.

Also try a GOOD quality plug (heavy duty).
Dont scrimp here, buy the best quality.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dmxtothemax For This Useful Post:
brenda o (06-01-2011)
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts