Electric Fan Motor - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2008, 04:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

electric fan motor

i am replaceing a 1/2hp 1750rpm motor on a barn fan. it has an on and off switch mouted to the case the fan is mouted in. so i have a switch (on & off) and a motor could any one tell me how to wire it thanks spur

Advertisement

spurrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 07:39 PM   #2
Idiot Emeritus

Rewards Points: 1,080

electric fan motor

A few questions; the switch is mounted on the fan frame, and not directly on the motor, right? If so, is there a cord of some sort going from the switch to the motor? What are the wire colors of the cord? (usually black, white, and green).

Is the new motor dual voltage? (115/230) How many wires does it have, and what are their numbers/colors? (Usually numbers are written on the wire itself, like T2, T3, etc.)

What voltage are you going to run it on? (115 or 230)

What direction does it need to turn? (Clockwise or counterclockwise viewed from the back of the motor).

Write back, we can help.

Rob

Advertisement

Last edited by micromind; 11-08-2008 at 07:42 PM.
micromind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 09:34 PM   #3

electric fan motor

i will get back to you tommorow, thanks spur
Old 11-09-2008, 10:36 AM   #4

electric fan motor

the old motor was just a plain 110v motor.the swich a simple in side the house light switch but in a weather proof box is mounted on the frame and the wire from the switch ran to the motor and the cord from the power plug on the wall ran to the motor so the swich cord and the power cord both ran to the motor on the old motor. now the answer to your questions. switch not mounted on the motor it is mounted on the wood frame the fan is mounted in. wire colors= 7 wires, j10 black, t2 white, t4 yellow,p2 brown, t3 orange, t8 red, and p1 purple, the power will be 115v and the fan has to run clockwise. thanks for your help spur
Old 11-09-2008, 10:37 AM   #5

electric fan motor

by the way i'm in texas and my email address if you would like that beter is spur@swbell.net thanks again
Old 11-09-2008, 01:52 PM   #6
Idiot Emeritus

Rewards Points: 1,080

electric fan motor

Here's how to hook the new one up.

Both cords can go to the motor junction box. it'll be a bit crowded in there, keep the wires fairly short.

The green wires (grounds) go to the motor frame. Usually, there's a green screw somewhere inside the box.

You'll need to splice a bunch of wires in the motor, the easiest way is by using orange and yellow wirenuts. Use the orange ones where you have two or three wires to splice, the yellow ones might be needed with a 4 wire splice. (There's only one of these)

The black wire in the cord that goes to the plug ties to the white wire that goes to the switch.

The black wire that goes to the switch ties to the purple (P1).

Brown (P2), black (J10), and orange (T3) all tie together.

The white wire in the cord that goes to the plug ties to white (T2), yellow (T4), and red (T8). This is the splice where you might need to use the yellow wirenut, all 4 wires might not fit in an orange one.

Usually this connection results in clockwise rotation when looking at the back of the motor. If it's backward, swap the black (J10) with the red (T8).

Rob

P.S. Usually there's a wiring diagram somewhere on the motor, sometimes on the inside of the cover for the box. Usually the connection given will result in clockwise rotation looking at the shaft end of the motor.
micromind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:16 PM   #7

electric fan motor

thanks, it worked. you have my e mail address if you ever get to texas i have a big steak waiting for you. thanks again phil

Advertisement