Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2011, 07:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Electric dryer receptacle?

my friend had a dryer receptacle installed some time ago. he calls me to help him install a new panel. after the new panel install the dryer wouldn't work. I opened the receptacle box and realized that the previous genius didn't connect the neutral wire. instead he had the bare ground connected in it's place. and must have had the bare ground connected to the neutral bar in the panel for the dryer to work. when i reconnected the dryer wires in the panel correctly the dryer then had no return so therefore wouldn't work. I rewired the receptacle correctly. with neutral in the correct place and ground the box. without a dryer to test i assume doing so would allow the dryer to work? please advise.

mdaigs34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:41 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Older 3 wire receptacles did not use the neutral. Current code requires a 4 wire receptacle, which includes the neutral. Wire it for 4 wire(X= hot 1, Y=hot 2, N=neutral, green is ground), and replace the plug on the dryer at installation if it is a 3 wire.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:23 AM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
Older 3 wire receptacles did not use the neutral. Current code requires a 4 wire receptacle, which includes the neutral. Wire it for 4 wire(X= hot 1, Y=hot 2, N=neutral, green is ground), and replace the plug on the dryer at installation if it is a 3 wire.
Actually Bill, 120/240v dryers always required an insulated neutral (or the use of SEU cable). It was the ground that was allowed to be omitted and the case of the appliance bonded to the neutral conductor.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:28 AM   #4

just so I'm clear speedy, the way i connected the receptacle will work?
Old 12-14-2011, 08:35 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,054

I am more concerned about your panel. If the dryer plug was a three wire plug and it worked before it should have worked with the new panel.
The neutral and ground should be connected in the main panel. It should not have mattered that he had the ground wire in the neutral bus. If your new panel was installed correctly the dryer should have worked even with the ground wire only connected if it worked before.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #6

I am at a loss then. In the panel The hots are connected to a 30A double pole circuit breaker. neutral to the neutral bar and ground to the ground bar. At thr receptacle the hots are connected to the outermost connectors, neutral to the middle and ground to the box. All seems to be wired correctly now. all the other circuits work properly.

I don't see how the panel could have been installed improperly. Is there anything I can check to see if the dryer will work? the new dryer is to be delivered friday and we would like this issue to be resolved by then if at all possible.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #7

I don't dispute that it was wrong. I'm just saying if it worked before it should have worked after. Are you sure it worked before?
Old 12-14-2011, 11:47 AM   #8
Mad Scientist

Rewards Points: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdaigs34 View Post
I am at a loss then. In the panel The hots are connected to a 30A double pole circuit breaker. neutral to the neutral bar and ground to the ground bar. At thr receptacle the hots are connected to the outermost connectors, neutral to the middle and ground to the box. All seems to be wired correctly now. all the other circuits work properly.

I don't see how the panel could have been installed improperly. Is there anything I can check to see if the dryer will work? the new dryer is to be delivered friday and we would like this issue to be resolved by then if at all possible.
The easiest test would be to just check voltages at the dryer receptacle. 240v hot-to-hot, 120v hot-to-neutral, 120v hot-to-ground.

Stab in the dark: Did you maybe forget to install the bonding screw or jumper in the new panel? Maybe double-check that you have continuity between ground and neutral at the panel.
McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to McSteve For This Useful Post:
mdaigs34 (12-14-2011)
Old 12-14-2011, 11:47 AM   #9

yes it worked before. I wonder if the new panel should have the ground and neutral bar bonded. i'm getting like .2v from ground to neutral. is there a way for me to test the circuit and see if the dryer will work. other than plugging in the dryer? i have no dryer at this time.

thanks
Old 12-14-2011, 11:50 AM   #10
Mad Scientist

Rewards Points: 510

Yes, if this is the house's main service panel, neutral and ground must be bonded in the panel.
McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:00 PM   #11

That would explain why it didn't work(no neutral/ground bond). If the neutral and ground are not bonded then the ground will not function as return conductor. This is what I suspected as the issue when I said the panel was installed wrong. Even if this is a sub panel there should be a neutral/ground bond back at the main panel.