DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Electric Dryer (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/electric-dryer-156549/)

sublime2 09-11-2012 06:23 PM

Electric Dryer
 
I have an aunt that just bought a house.
She had a friend of the family come in to upgrade the service to 100 amp.she also wants a line in her garage run to feed an electric dryer,this friend is telling her that he will do it using 12/2 wire and hard wire it,not use a plug.
Anyone see a problem with this?
Thanks,

stickboy1375 09-11-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sublime2 (Post 1007988)
I have an aunt that just bought a house.
She had a friend of the family come in to upgrade the service to 100 amp.she also wants a line in her garage run to feed an electric dryer,this friend is telling her that he will do it using 12/2 wire and hard wire it,not use a plug.
Anyone see a problem with this?
Thanks,

lol... just a few....

sublime2 09-11-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickboy1375

lol... just a few....

Care to elaborate?
I've run wire for my dryer but I used 10/3 with a 3 prong plug.
This guy does it for a living so I thought there was another way that I'm not aware of.

stickboy1375 09-11-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sublime2 (Post 1007996)
Care to elaborate?

A dryer requires 10-3 wire, and a disconnect, so we use a plug and receptacle to meet that criteria. Also, i would be scared of this friend doing any electrical work if he was going to wire a dryer like you proposed.


Is the garage attached to the house?

sublime2 09-11-2012 06:35 PM

Yes it is attached,and the box is in the garage also.

stickboy1375 09-11-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sublime2 (Post 1007996)
Care to elaborate?
I've run wire for my dryer but I used 10/3 with a 3 prong plug.
This guy does it for a living so I thought there was another way that I'm not aware of.

No way this guy does this LEGALLY for a living if he seriously thought he was going to use 12-2 for a dryer.

sublime2 09-11-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickboy1375

No way this guy does this LEGALLY for a living if he seriously thought he was going to use 12-2 for a dryer.

That's what I was thinking! It can not be done safely with just 12/2. I'm hoping she just misunderstood him.
But the hard wire is no good either,correct?

stickboy1375 09-11-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sublime2 (Post 1008004)
That's what I was thinking! It can not be done safely with just 12/2. I'm hoping she just misunderstood him.
But the hard wire is no good either,correct?

I wouldn't hard wire a dryer... but I don't see the violation either as long as a disconnect is in place.

sublime2 09-11-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickboy1375

I wouldn't hard wire a dryer... but I don't see the violation either as long as a disconnect is in place.

Disconnect in place,meaning the breaker?

stickboy1375 09-11-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sublime2 (Post 1008015)
Disconnect in place,meaning the breaker?

Sure, that would be meet the requirement. but seriously, it would be silly to hard wire a dryer. Also, the dryer may require a cord to be installed...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved