Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,204

Electric Drier Outlet

Three prong existing outlet. New drier has four prong. Should I go back to the apt., not that I have access to the electrical service panels, and remove the four prong outlet and replace the one in my garage? Should work, right?

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 11-01-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Electric Drier Outlet

I'm not an electrican and the pic is a little foggy, in my house I had a 3 prong and bought a new drier with 4 prong. I talked to the dealer and said not to worry, but the 4th prong was for a ground, so I ran a 4 wire to the box and had electricain wire it in.

hellothere123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hellothere123 For This Useful Post:
Doc Holliday (11-01-2011)
Old 11-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry

Electric Drier Outlet

My best friend is a master electrician and owns his own electrical contracting firm but I can't get ahold of him at the moment.

What I'd like to know is why they transfered from 3 to 4 prong.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,020

Electric Drier Outlet

Doc, you'll need a new power cord, but check your manual, and I think it will show you exactly what you need to do with the bonding strap.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,124

Electric Drier Outlet

Replace the 4 conductor cord on the dryer with a 3 conductor cord. You will be able to use the existing 3 wire dryer receptacle.

Do not change the electrical wiring in a rental property. Only the owner can authorize that work and it must be done by a licensed electrician.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
Code05 (11-01-2011), Doc Holliday (11-01-2011)
Old 11-01-2011, 06:35 PM   #6

Electric Drier Outlet

The third wire is the neutral, and the fourth wire is the actual ground.
The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2011, 06:46 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Electric Drier Outlet

the orig. dryer and outlet must be very old - 3 prongs would not have a ground most likely.

I guess you could use the 4 prong with a new receptacle but you would not have a ground. With new equipment it is recommended that you use the ground. In that case you have to pull in a new wire.

Or do not use the ground and take your chances. In a rental unit you better do it the right way and run in a new cable .

Last edited by longspur; 11-01-2011 at 06:50 PM.
longspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #8
I'm Your Huckleberry

Electric Drier Outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by longspur View Post
the orig. dryer and outlet must be very old - 3 prongs would not have a ground most likely.

I guess you could use the 4 prong with a new receptacle but you would not have a ground. With new equipment it is recommended that you use the ground. In that case you have to pull in a new wire.

Or do not use the ground and take your chances. In a rental unit you better do it the right way and run in a new cable .

Even if I were to cut off the male ground prong from the new dryer the plug wouldn't fit into the older 3 prong, different configuration. I know it's hard to see in the pic and I apologize about that.

I'm not worried about losing a ground as long as the neutral is there. They both terminate to the same place in the panel and do the same thing.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:57 PM   #9
I'm Your Huckleberry

Electric Drier Outlet

Quote:

My dumbass landlord is a flake. The only reason I wouldn't do it right is because I wouldn't want to help him out.

The gfi on the kitchen sink counter went out, where I plug my microwave in. He himself replaced it with a USED regular receptacle because he didn't want to spend the $10 on a new gfi. I told him it was illegal, he did it anyway.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #10

Electric Drier Outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
My dumbass landlord is a flake. The only reason I wouldn't do it right is because I wouldn't want to help him out.

The gfi on the kitchen sink counter went out, where I plug my microwave in. He himself replaced it with a USED regular receptacle because he didn't want to spend the $10 on a new gfi. I told him it was illegal, he did it anyway.
You may find that the old dryer plug may be of a different current rating of the new one. That may explain the different pin configuration.

If you saved the old plug cut it off with the cable and feed it into a new box with the correct receptacle of the new plug. Not the right way but it will work for you.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:04 PM   #11
I'm Your Huckleberry

Electric Drier Outlet

I think I'll check at The Home Depot and see which is cheaper, a new cord or a new receptacle. I don't think it'll be a big deal to simply not use a non existing ground on a new four prong receptacle. I'll just hook up the two hots and the neutral and be done.

Unless the cord is cheaper.

Thanks guys.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #12

Electric Drier Outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
I think I'll check at The Home Depot and see which is cheaper, a new cord or a new receptacle. I don't think it'll be a big deal to simply not use a non existing ground on a new four prong receptacle. I'll just hook up the two hots and the neutral and be done.

Unless the cord is cheaper.

Thanks guys.
Your not going to find the old style cord
Old 11-01-2011, 07:16 PM   #13
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,020

Electric Drier Outlet

Quote:

Quote:
You may find that the old dryer plug may be of a different current rating of the new one. That may explain the different pin configuration.

If you saved the old plug cut it off with the cable and feed it into a new box with the correct receptacle of the new plug. Not the right way but it will work for you.
Quote:
Your not going to find the old style cord
PLEASE stop giving electrical advice. You are obviously not a professional and really don't know what you are talking about.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
a7ecorsair (11-01-2011), Code05 (11-01-2011), jbfan (11-02-2011), Jim Port (11-01-2011), mpoulton (11-02-2011), rjniles (11-02-2011)
Old 11-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #14
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,020

Electric Drier Outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
Replace the 4 conductor cord on the dryer with a 3 conductor cord. You will be able to use the existing 3 wire dryer receptacle.

Do not change the electrical wiring in a rental property. Only the owner can authorize that work and it must be done by a licensed electrician.
THIS is your answer.

DO NOT change the receptacle, unless you are 100% certain you have a ground conductor as well as the required neutral. Four wires total.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
mpoulton (11-02-2011)
Old 11-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #15

Electric Drier Outlet

The store where you bought the dryer, or any hardware store or big box will have the cord that you need.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
Code05 (11-01-2011), Jim Port (11-01-2011)