Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-15-2008, 08:54 PM   #1

Share |

Electric Ceiling heat wiring

I was troubleshooting our thermostat for our electric ceiling heat in our living room. While troubleshooting I noticed that both lines going into the thermostat(there are only 2) have 115V to GND. I'm familiar with wiring but I was expecting a hot wire in and a load line to the cable heating and then back out to Neutral, not 220 across the thermostat. Am I missing something here? This thermostat is the only one that is not original to the home.

jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:22 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Most electric heat permanently installed is 240 volt; this is normal.

theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatretch85 View Post
Most electric heat permanently installed is 240 volt; this is normal.
I understand that, what I don't understand is why two hot lines are essentially connected together across a switch. The switch is supposed to be line on one side and load on the other, they had a red hot wire connected to the load line and a black hot wire connected to the line connection. This is what has me confused. I expected a hot on the line and a connection to the ceiling heat on the load. For 240V you would expect two line and two l lines. Although upon closer inspection I think I figured it out.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:43 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenoble99 View Post
I understand that, what I don't understand is why two hot lines are essentially connected together across a switch. The switch is supposed to be line on one side and load on the other, they had a red hot wire connected to the load line and a black hot wire connected to the line connection. This is what has me confused. I expected a hot on the line and a connection to the ceiling heat on the load. For 240V you would expect two line and two l lines. Although upon closer inspection I think I figured it out.
Could be a different wiring diagram for usage with 120 volts and 240 volts. Is there any sort of a wiring diagram or terminal description on the back of the thermostat? Otherwise you can look it up online to see how the wires should be connected. Its probably wired fine since it sounds like its been working.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:05 PM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Any single pole thermostat that is breaking only one side of a 240 Volt circuit will read 240 Volts across the thermostat terminals when it is not calling for heat.

The load backfeeds thru the heating element, giving you that reading.
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
Any single pole thermostat that is breaking only one side of a 240 Volt circuit will read 240 Volts across the thermostat terminals when it is not calling for heat.

The load backfeeds thru the heating element, giving you that reading.
It was unconnected from the thermostat at the time, but nevermind. I looked closer at the wiring diagram for the new thermostat and figured it out, just needed a break. It's working great now. The old thermostat was only working when you cranked it up full tilt. New one is set to 70 and it's comfortable in here now.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:36 AM   #7

OT: Some electric heating thermostats break both sides of the line. It is possible for them to be miscalibrated so both sides don't make and break at the same temperature so in actual operation only one side of the line makes and breaks.

This may be the reason why you may hear the thermostat click at the desired temperature setting but you don't get heat until you crank it way up (and it clicks again for the second side of the line's connecting).

AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote