DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   Electric ceiling heat (

jason8640 12-14-2009 11:16 AM

Electric ceiling heat
We recently purchaced a house built in 1977. The previous owner felt it was more important to have surround sound in the living room than heat. It is electric ceiling heat of some kind. It is 220. It has wires that run back and forth between two half inch sheets of sheetrock. Needless to say......when he installed the speakers in the ceiling he cut threw some of the wires. And now there is no heat in the living room. Can these wires be fixed? What kind of heat is it called? Any help would be appreciated. I have built three homes and never saw this kind of heat.
Thank you,

Bob Mariani 12-14-2009 12:43 PM

you need to know what type of radiant heat cables were used. Some are embedded with fine wires like ThermaRay panels, others are installed between two layers of drywall, mudding the cables in place to maintain a radiant barrier. Repair involves finding the break and reconnection the broken ends with a butt splice. An electrician will be able to find this area with many different tools. I find a tic tracer works well. The issue is that you do not cut into these panels without first marking where the wires are.

beenthere 12-14-2009 02:12 PM

Moved to electrical forum.

Probably get more advise from here.

jason8640 12-17-2009 09:17 AM

electric ceiling heat
Thanks for the reply. However I found the wires. They are a solid copper wire with insulation. I don't believe this type has panels. I think it is just wires ran back and forth. I do know that they are between two pieces of sheetrock. I also know that they are stapled to the top piece and covered by a second piece of sheetrock. Is it a certain type of wire? Because I know regular wire is rated to 105 degree's. Or will regular solid core wire work as long as it is the same gauge?

beenthere 12-17-2009 11:01 AM

That ain't copper wire.
Copper wire wouldn't have much resistance and would blow the breaker.
It is a Special type of wire. And you can't just wire nut it together either.
Or you'll burn your house down.

They sell kits for splicing/repairing it.

jason8640 12-17-2009 11:13 AM

electric ceiling heat
Do you know of a website where I can order these kits?

beenthere 12-17-2009 11:17 AM

Afraid not.

I always got them from an electrical supply house.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1