Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2010, 03:40 PM   #1

Share |

electric breakers

In my breaker box, I have 2 breakers that are the size of a double pole but only have a single toggle and only 1 wire coming off it. I just want to know if this is a single pole breaker or somethine else? By the way, this breaker has no label on it at all and is inside an old Bryant box.

Jasons34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:51 PM   #2

electric breakers

Can you take a pic ?
Do you know what it feeds ?
What is the rating on the breaker ?

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
Electrician

electric breakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasons34 View Post
In my breaker box, I have 2 breakers that are the size of a double pole but only have a single toggle and only 1 wire coming off it. I just want to know if this is a single pole breaker or somethine else? By the way, this breaker has no label on it at all and is inside an old Bryant box.
There is not a second termination point on the breaker that is not being used?
Old 08-15-2010, 04:01 PM   #4

electric breakers

I do actually have a picture of the breaker still in the box. It looks exactly like a double pole. It even has 2 screws on the side where both hot wires would screw fast. But there is only 1 toggle. And there is only 1 wire coming off it. Its not even a heavy duty wire either. Heres the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
electric breakers-dsci0520.jpg  
Old 08-15-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

electric breakers

if it has 2 terminals on it, it is a two pole breaker with a single width handle. It would appear it is only being used as a single pole breaker at the moment.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:52 PM   #6

electric breakers

But correct me If I am wrong.. In order for it to be a double pole breaker, each pole would have a toggle which would be mended together so that if 1 of the hots draws too much current to trip that pole, both would trip. I just cant see how this is a double pole breaker. I have checked everywhere about this type of breaker and nobody has an answer. Bryant is not around anymore. I have 2 that look like this. These are the only breakers that dont have a single label on them. I am assuming these 2 breakers are bryant breakers. All the other breakers are cutlers and westinghouse. Im just thinking that back when Bryant was around that they (meaning bryant) made breakers like this to take up more space (instead of adding another single in its place). Im just confused. Not saying you are wrong but I have 3 actual double pole breakers and those each have 2 hots coming from them. Could It just be what I said in that its an actual single pole breaker just made up to double size to fill up the box? Im actually hoping that. What I would want to do is remove that breaker and replace it with a true single 20 amp breaker and another breaker to power my shed.

Edit: I just went and did a check to see what each of those 2 breakers actually power. The 20 amp breaker pictured above only runs my garbage disposal. The other one in question is a 40 amp which I just found out powers a single outlet in my garage (an outlet I installed). Is it safe to say these are indeed single pole breakers or should I do some more testing? And to be completly honest, I wouldnt need those if they are indeed double poles since they are only powering a garbage disposal and an outlet. Just let me know if you feel that its safe to remove those breakers or not. Thanks.

Last edited by Jasons34; 08-15-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
Electrician

electric breakers

Quote:
But correct me If I am wrong..
You are wrong.

Some manufacturers use a single handle.

Yes, you can replace it with (2) single pole breakers.
Attached Images

Last edited by Proby; 08-15-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Proby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:14 PM   #8

electric breakers

Well I appreciate you clearing that up for me. I was always under the assumption that a 220 breaker would have 2 poles joined together. And I never even saw one of those single poles at the store. Good thing that I asked first. So then its safe to remove those 2 breakers and get 4 single poles to put in their place. The 40 amp breaker that powers that single outlet (actually 2 outlets together) has to power my air compresser which runs off regular 110 but needs 25Amps alone. I hardly ever use my air compressor along with using another one of those outlets at the same time. What size amp breaker would you think I need for that? Also what size breaker should I get for my shed which will have 2 lights and 2 outlets?
Old 08-15-2010, 05:24 PM   #9
Electrician

electric breakers

Quote:
Well I appreciate you clearing that up for me. I was always under the assumption that a 220 breaker would have 2 poles joined together.
They do, some just do it internally.

Quote:
And I never even saw one of those single poles at the store. Good thing that I asked first. So then its safe to remove those 2 breakers and get 4 single poles to put in their place.
Yes.

Quote:
The 40 amp breaker that powers that single outlet (actually 2 outlets together) has to power my air compresser which runs off regular 110 but needs 25Amps alone. I hardly ever use my air compressor along with using another one of those outlets at the same time. What size amp breaker would you think I need for that?
What size wire do you have? Just because there is a 40A breaker there now, it doesn't mean that it's safe.
What type of receptacles are on this circuit?
What type of plug does your compressor have?
Quote:
Also what size breaker should I get for my shed which will have 2 lights and 2 outlets?
This is unattached from the house? Do you want a sub panel inside the shed or not? Is there wiring currently run to the shed or do you have to do that in the future?
Old 08-15-2010, 08:08 PM   #10

electric breakers

The 40 amp breaker currently runs 2 outlets (4 plugs). I have 12-2 wire ran for that. My shed will have 2 lights and 2 outlets (one being exterior). My air compressor has a 110 plug having 3 plugs. Im guessing this info is what you asked for.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:17 PM   #11
Electrician

electric breakers

Quote:
The 40 amp breaker currently runs 2 outlets (4 plugs).
You can't have that. A normal 5-15R or 5-20R receptacle is only made for a maximum of 20A.

Quote:
I have 12-2 wire ran for that.
That wire will only handle a maximum of 20A as well.

What type of plug does your compressor have? Is it the original plug? It's odd that you compressor is rated for 25A and has a plug that won't accept it.

Quote:
My shed will have 2 lights and 2 outlets (one being exterior). My air compressor has a 110 plug having 3 plugs. Im guessing this info is what you asked for.
Your shed is where the compressor is? It is already wired up with 12-2? Then you could only use a single pole 20A breaker.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:38 PM   #12

electric breakers

Wait now I think I understand you. Let me know If I understand this correctly. Any circuit that has an outlet on it, doesnt matter if its 1 or 4, can not have a breaker larger than 20 amps, correct? Ok so if thats the case, I should change my quad outlet that my air compressor is on from a 40 to a 20?
Old 08-15-2010, 08:45 PM   #13
Electrician

electric breakers

Quote:
Wait now I think I understand you. Let me know If I understand this correctly. Any circuit that has an outlet on it, doesnt matter if its 1 or 4, can not have a breaker larger than 20 amps, correct?
Yes, the normal type of receptacles can only handle 20A, you can't put a bigger breaker on the circuit. To add to that, the wiring that you have can only handle 20A, putting a 40A breaker on this circuit is a serious fire hazard, especially when you are pulling more than 20A.

Quote:
Ok so if thats the case, I should change my quad outlet that my air compressor is on from a 40 to a 20?
Yes, change the breaker.

The compressor has a normal plug on it? Is it the original plug? What is telling you that it draws 25A?
Old 08-15-2010, 08:58 PM   #14

electric breakers

It doesnt say it actually draws 25Amps. It just says in the manual that it should be own its on dedicated 25amp circuit. But I have already used that compressor on a 20 amp circuit and it did nothing. Ok So I will deffinintly change that 40 amp breaker to a 20 amp and still keep the quad outlets. Can you run 2 outlets and 2 lights off a 20 amp breaker? I could get away with only 1 light out in my shed but would like 2 lights. I already have the 12-2 wire ran for the shed so it would be a pain to re-do that. I havent gotten any outlets, lights, or breakers yet for any of this.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:10 PM   #15
Electrician

electric breakers

Quote:
It doesnt say it actually draws 25Amps. It just says in the manual that it should be own its on dedicated 25amp circuit.
You sure it said 25A? What country are you in?

Quote:
But I have already used that compressor on a 20 amp circuit and it did nothing. Ok So I will deffinintly change that 40 amp breaker to a 20 amp and still keep the quad outlets.
I would run the compressor on it's own 20A circuit just like it recommends, nothing else on the circuit.
Quote:
Can you run 2 outlets and 2 lights off a 20 amp breaker?
You can run as many receptacles as you'd like on a circuit. You haven't mentioned what type of lights, but I am pretty sure you won't have a problem.

Quote:
I could get away with only 1 light out in my shed but would like 2 lights. I already have the 12-2 wire ran for the shed so it would be a pain to re-do that. I havent gotten any outlets, lights, or breakers yet for any of this.
If this is the same circuit that the compressor is on, you can't run anything else on the circuit, or at least you shouldn't.