Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2008, 01:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Electric Baseboard Heater Problem

Hello,

I just recently installed a single 240V, 500W Dimplex electric baseboard heater below a window, and it is not heating.

At the panel, I installed a dual pole, 20A circuit breaker. I ran 12/2 wire for a span of about 60' before I reached the baseboard heater. I ran the black wire to one pole, the white to the other, and grounded the copper line within the box. Using a multi-meter I can read 120VAC on either pole when referencing to ground within the box.

The electric baseboard box has one line (L1) connected to the black hot line coming in, and the other line (L2) connected to the white hot line coming in. When the circuit is turned on, I can read 120VAC on either line. No heat is felt at the heating element after turning on the circuit for many minutes.

Any help with this problem? Note that I also bought a thermostat, but have removed it from the circuit in order to diagnose the issue. Thanks.

goombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:03 PM   #2
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Quote:
Originally Posted by goombie View Post
Hello,

I just recently installed a single 240V, 500W Dimplex electric baseboard heater below a window, and it is not heating.

At the panel, I installed a dual pole, 20A circuit breaker. I ran 12/2 wire for a span of about 60' before I reached the baseboard heater. I ran the black wire to one pole, the white to the other, and grounded the copper line within the box. Using a multi-meter I can read 120VAC on either pole when referencing to ground within the box.

The electric baseboard box has one line (L1) connected to the black hot line coming in, and the other line (L2) connected to the white hot line coming in. When the circuit is turned on, I can read 120VAC on either line. No heat is felt at the heating element after turning on the circuit for many minutes.

Any help with this problem? Note that I also bought a thermostat, but have removed it from the circuit in order to diagnose the issue. Thanks.
What does your meter read when measuring between the black and white at the heater?

InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:48 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

Did you use an actual double pole breaker or a mini breaker that has 2 breakers that occupy one slot?
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:58 PM   #4

Check to make sure the circuit is complete at the other end of the heater. Some of these heaters are set up to receive the electrical connection at either end and you must terminate the end you don't use.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:03 PM   #5
Electrician

I agree with wirenut, he is probably trying to power the heater from the same phase in the panel which won't work. Take your meter and measure between the two screws of your double pole breaker, if it reads zero you have to move that breaker to get both phases. You should read 240 between them.

If you have 240V there check the other side of heater, to make sure the connections are together. I have never seen a unit shipped that way but you never know.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
I agree with wirenut, he is probably trying to power the heater from the same phase in the panel which won't work. Take your meter and measure between the two screws of your double pole breaker, if it reads zero you have to move that breaker to get both phases. You should read 240 between them.

If you have 240V there check the other side of heater, to make sure the connections are together. I have never seen a unit shipped that way but you never know.
If it's a tandem breaker he can move it around all he wants and it won't make a difference. Both terminals will still be on the same phase.

Last edited by jerryh3; 12-21-2008 at 03:51 PM.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:50 PM   #7
Electrician

I though tandems could be placed on both, guess i am wrong. I am thinking of my federal panel where a small breaker can sit on both phases with a small breaker. You learn something new everyday.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:38 PM   #8

Thanks for all the suggestions. Very helpful.

1 - I cannot recall what the reading was when I measured between black and white at the heater. When I measure black versus ground (at the heater), I see 120 VAC, when I measure white versus ground, I see 120 VAC (at the heater). I would assume then that I would see 0 VAC between white and black at the heater. This is the same that I see on the breaker when I make the same measurements on the panel. Are you suggesting that I should see 240 VAC when I measure black to white?
2 - I used a dual pole breaker which occupies two slots on my breaker panel.
3 - The circuit is setup properly at the heater (by the manufacturer).

So, it appears as though my breaker is installed improperly, but it's been installed to fit in the proper two slots. Is it possible to move it over a 1/2 slot? I didn't think this was an option.

I am not sure what is meant by a tandem breaker, but I believe I purchased the correct breaker, in any case. This is the exact breaker that I purchased:

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...ampaign=901382

Thanks again for the help.
goombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:38 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 16

On some panels it makes a difference which two slots a double breaker is clipped on to. Measure the voltage between the two hot screws of your double breaker. If you don't get the 240 volts or so, try moving the breaker down one notch in your panel for example taking the seventh and eighth instead of the sixth and seventh slots.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:13 AM   #10
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by goombie View Post
I am not sure what is meant by a tandem breaker, but I believe I purchased the correct breaker, in any case. This is the exact breaker that I purchased:
Ugh! Federal breakers. Bad stuff.

Yup, you have a mini-tandem breaker there. You may have installed it so both sides are fed from the same line in your panel. See if you can move it space over, to ensure your circuit is fed from opposite lines, and provide 240 Volts.

kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote