Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2011, 10:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

electric

In a four switch box ,three work left to right. the forth does not lite the fixture. I removed the switch jumped the wire and nothing happens. I test the wires with a simple tester to see if current is coming in and the lite on tester is dim? as if not enough power coming in .I test the other switches and they all lite up tester lite bright, and all those appliances work? Please help

angelui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

electric

How are you connection the test light?
Do you have several white wires that are connected together inside this switch box? If not, then power is fed to the light first and you just have a switch leg from the fixture to the switch.

a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:26 AM   #3

Unhappy

electric

there are several white wires tied together. Its odd that the wires coming to the fixture are black-white and the wires connected to the switch are black-red and a white wire is capped off?
Old 05-14-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
I=E/R

electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelui View Post
there are several white wires tied together. Its odd that the wires coming to the fixture are black-white and the wires connected to the switch are black-red and a white wire is capped off?
What do you mean, the white is capped. Isn't it connected to the other white wires in the switch box? The red wire connected to the switch, can you tell where it originates?
Old 05-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #5

electric

The red wire and the blk wire are connected to the back of the switch as in push thru connection. The white is capped off. When I touch the blk to the switch next to it another lamp, controlled by no. 3 switch lites? I believe the red wire is comming from that lamp, which is connected to switch no.4. It may be that the power to the ceiling fan comes from that lamp to the celing fan.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:11 AM   #6
I=E/R

electric

For a light to light up, it has to have power and a return neutral. You are saying that in the fixture you have one white wire and one black wire which makes sense. The black wire would come from the switch and the white wire has to be connected to a white neutral somewhere.
You didn't say where the red wire originated, only where it terminated.