Elec Short Causing A/C Problems Or A/C Problems Causing Elec Problems? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2008, 04:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Elec short causing A/C problems or A/C problems causing elec problems?

Hi all I'm a newbie and I have what may be a very dumb question.

A/C went out, repair man said the compressor was out. A 2nd repair man found a burned connecting wire to the compressor, replaced all connectors and the A/C worked for 2 days. Lights occasionally flicker in house, t.v. receivers flicker, sometimes quit, my computer monitor is now flickering. Question is: A/C causing electrical problems or electrical problems causing all of the above? Where do we begin to search?

Thanks for you help.

Advertisement

Marlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:31 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,008

You begin where you left off. At the AC. Turn off the breaker to the AC and see if the problem goes away. If so, return to the ac and recheck the connections (all of them) Breaker OFF please.
Bad connections are not always noticeable. You may want to remove the connections and replace them if they are the slide on type or whatever.
Your description of the symptoms points me directly to the AC unit. Flickering of light and devices indicate a bad connection. So go where man has gone before.

Ps....Some compressors have blade type connectors. I have seen these get loose. Check and make sure they all tight and have no wiggle room. If it is the comp. connectors you may have to replace the comp.

Advertisement

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for your quick response. We did flip the breaker and there are still a few weird things going on; however, a ceiling fan that would not operate will now operate. We still have flickering on the DVR but not if we're watching straight satellite, my cursor is flickering as I'm typing, etc.

Oh yes and we have a yard light (we live on an acreage) and it was not lit this morning. We just flipped the breaker this morning before leaving the house.

We want to make sure we don't have the type of problem that would not be covered with a warranty if we buy a new unit (ours is 16 years old).
Marlon is offline   Reply With Quote