Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2009, 12:46 PM   #1

Share |

Elec. Garage Heater Question

If I have a standard 200 AMP service, can I run this heater?

<http://www.heater-store.com/garage-h..._1359_prd1.htm>

If so what size breaker would it need and what size wire would I use? 10 AWG is my gut first response.

Also what does everyone think of these type of heaters for open space (workshop/barn) heating?

Thanks!

mntnvew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:22 PM   #2

did you buy the heater ........yet?

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

How many cubic feet is your garage? I've installed 4 of these for a bbq restaurant(they provided them) that has an enclosed tent out front and I can't tell they're doing anything except sucking up 25% of the restaurants service.
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:11 PM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntnvew View Post
If I have a standard 200 AMP service, can I run this heater?

<http://www.heater-store.com/garage-h..._1359_prd1.htm>

If so what size breaker would it need and what size wire would I use? 10 AWG is my gut first response.

Also what does everyone think of these type of heaters for open space (workshop/barn) heating?

Thanks!

A 5K Watt 240 volt heater uses approx 21 AMPS, A 30 amp breaker with #10 guage wire (derated to 80%) can supply up to 24 amps. Whether your 200 amp service can supply this load depends on what else you have using the service. What is you total load including this planned addition? Electric is a pretty expensive heating option. Have you considered natural gas (if available) or propane
rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
did you buy the heater ........yet?
no i have not. I might do something else but this is more then likely the approach I will have to take to heat.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirenut1110 View Post
How many cubic feet is your garage? I've installed 4 of these for a bbq restaurant(they provided them) that has an enclosed tent out front and I can't tell they're doing anything except sucking up 25% of the restaurants service.
The barn is a raised-center or monitor type. So there is an upstairs that is 16 wide by 36 long and about 9 foot high to the peak of the roof, there is 7ft standing room and 2 foot tall trusses.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
A 5K Watt 240 volt heater uses approx 21 AMPS, A 30 amp breaker with #10 guage wire (derated to 80%) can supply up to 24 amps. Whether your 200 amp service can supply this load depends on what else you have using the service. What is you total load including this planned addition? Electric is a pretty expensive heating option. Have you considered natural gas (if available) or propane
I will have lights on besides the heater and then it is my workshop so there could be heater + lights + power tool or something like that.

Other then that there wont be a load on this 200 AMP service, it is it's own for just the barn. The house has it's own 200 AMP service.

I thought about alternative options but I would have to purchase tank and bury it for storage for gas, I live in Rural SW Montana, so we dont have to the door service for stuff like that.

I only really want to heat it in the winter, obviously, when I am in it working or just before I work.

Note there is a bathroom that has 2 baseboard heaters in it to keep it 57 degrees in the bathroom to prevent freezing so these two heaters are on the service as well.

Thanks all!
Old 01-04-2009, 04:26 PM   #8

might want to check out that item number on www.grainger.com they have it for $292 if your near Billings or have it shipped to you.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:30 PM   #9

You should probably first do some heat loss/gain calc's for your building, area and degree days, etc. It might take you a morning with a spreadsheet.
Audel's has a four volume set that steps you through it. I've also heard of "Manual J".

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote