Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2010, 03:05 PM   #1

Share |

Effects of electrician tape on cable

I was in the crawl space yesterday and I was checking the diagonal boards there to make sure they were ok. I was under there with a light blub that could have came in contact with the electric cable that runs to the heat pump. Never will use a light blub again in crawl space. For now on use flashlight.

It is a thick cable and seems to have a bunch of wires inside of it. I don't think I damaged the cable because it does not look like a light blub could have damaged it. I can't get a picture of it and ask my contractor who installed the heat pump. I don't want to do anything that would create a hazard. Really the very very small area about half a centimeter is not much of a problem at all.

I want to wrap electrician tape around it. There is a thin skin on the cable still and the internal wire have not been exposed. So my question is can I wrap electrician tape around the cable and not expect the electrician tape to change the properties of the cable. What I mean is will the electrician tape rot the cable over a period of time. Have chemical or physical changes to the cable.

It is a rather silly question and I plan to ask this question to a few electricians in the local area before I contact my contractor. Wish I had camera that could take picture from 8 inches. I may buy Milwaukee inspection camera I can get at Home Depot. Your probably wondering why I am so pananoid about such a little problem. Just didn't want cable to rot if electrician tape was put around it. If I call contractor he will probably say wrap a little electrician tape. Not trying to save money here but doing this myself will keep cable from being damaged and most people like the termite people are not careful like I am and bump into things in the crawl space. So if anyone can reply about the chemical and physical effects of electrician tape on cables like the heat pump cable in crawl space give me a respond. Thank you.

Last edited by richard7994; 08-08-2010 at 03:09 PM.
richard7994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:08 PM   #2
Electrician

As long as it's only the outer sheath that is damaged and not the individual conductor, you are perfectly fine. Throw a couple wraps of black tape around it and forget it.

Get one of those fluorescent drop lights to take with you in the crawlspace. They are a pleasure to work with since they produce very little heat.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
Wire Chewer

When I moved into my house the crawlspace only had 2 60 watt incads, one per side (the beam and hvac ducts kinda separate it in two)

I added 4 more light sockets, to make 3 on each side, and replaced them with 100 watt equivalent CFL lights. When I turn that switch on, it's like a foot ball stadium at night.

I still need to get some light into the smaller garage crawlspace though, it's like a dungeon in there. That big spider from LOTR lives in there, somewhere.

It's well worth the time to get some good permanent lighting in there.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:39 PM   #4

why would we think your crazy,i check my diagonal boards twice a day...those sneaky boards never know what their planing
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:39 AM   #5

I just hope that the internal wires in the cable were not affected any if I did touch them with light blub. Strong possibility that cable was bend or stretched a little when contractor installed it. Sorry I don't have picture. Can't really see if the internal wires were affected because there is still a thin skin of insulation on the cable. If I were to try and peel off insulation and see wires inside I would probably damage internal wires. I am not going to do that. Probably have to let contractor solve problems with cable. My contractor offers maintenance plan to repair and replace anything that goes wrong with the furnance and heat pump for about 28/month. May give them a call about maintenance plan and in a few months tell them about cable. I could do work under house for them and contractor would only have to connect wires to circuit box and heat pump. Just hope it's not a fire hazard I doubt it. One in a million change of that. Plan to go to visit girlfriend on plane trip around Christmas and didn't want to leave house without first solving this problem. Should be ok. Other stuff will come up and I will stop worrying about cable.

richard7994 is offline   Reply With Quote