Eave Outlets - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2007, 02:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

eave outlets

I am wanting to mount 3 or 4 outlets around my house UNDER THE EAVES for the specific use of seasonal lighting (esp. christmas----my house looks like the North Pole at this time of year). I am always spending a day or so putting the lights up then another day or so running several extension cords, which presents a major fire hazard (not to mention tripping!). I am planning for 1 curcuit which will be 20A direct fed from its own breaker. A feed-thru GFI will be the 1st outlet on this line. QUESTION---Is this legal?

Advertisement

hockeyfan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:42 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,152

eave outlets

Absolutely. This is becoming a very common thing. It's been done for a long time for roof de-icing cables.

I would suggest at least two circuits though. Maybe three.

Advertisement

Old 03-05-2007, 06:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,470

eave outlets

I would put the GFCI inside the house along with a switch. Last thing you want is to need to get a ladder out to reset the GFCI in the middle of winter.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10
Question

eave outlets

This is great news! I am doing this tomorrow. I found I only need 3 outlets under the eaves for the roof lights---my wife is scared of the larger C7 or C9 bulbs and has always insisted that we put up the mini-lites! ( note the optimum word--WE!)

I think one 20A service is adequate for this.

This now presents another question. I only have 3 outlets in my garage. 1is in the ceiling for the garage door opener (it's the same curcuit as my central heat). The next outlet I just added the other day---Dedicated 20A to a single outlet for the freezer (not a duplex). The third is a GFI on the wall just above my freezer (chest type). It is tied to 3 other outlets, 1 on the front porch, 1 on the back patio, 1 one in my master bath under the whirlpool tub. PLANS ARE TO LEAVE THIS CURCUIT ALONE!

I want to add other outlets in the garage and of course the 1st in the curcuit is to be a feed-thru GFI. QUESTION: Can I tap off of this and go thru to the outside for 2 or 3 boxes in my flower beds for low-voltage lighting transformers?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
hockeyfan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:47 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,470

eave outlets

There are no restrictions in the code to forbid exterior receptacles onthe same circuit as the garage. Yes you can do it.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:07 PM   #6
Extreme DIY'r Adk's, NY

Rewards Points: 250

eave outlets

i put a single gfi protected receptacle in my garage and then the soffit receptacles are tied to that one. you can do the same with landscape lights. btw, your whirlpool receptacle should be on a dedicated gfi.

Advertisement

crecore is offline   Reply With Quote