Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #1

Share |

Eaton WH Surge protector CHSPMICRO

Hi All,
I am considering the Eaton whole house surge protector and am wondering if I would need to install one in an adjacent sub panel as well to ensure protection to all circuits? It appears the Eaton does not need to be installed near the top as does the Leviton, so I am curious about this.

I am simply seeking some form of protection over having nothing.. I do plug-in electronics on surge strips, but have a number of UPB devices I did loose about a year ago from a surge and don't want a repeat of that ($700 for new switches)

Thanks!
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #2

I would say at the main panel would be enough .But I also have surge receptacles and surge strips at point of use.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
Insatiable Learner

There are 3 levels of protection, so the beefier Ultra might just need the main panel but the others would be for the sub panels. Here is the installation manual. I am wondering how long these lasts. Typical surge protectors don't last very long.
AngelArs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo View Post
I do plug-in electronics on surge strips, but have a number of UPB devices I did loose about a year ago from a surge and don't want a repeat of that ($700 for new switches)
Learn from your experience. No protector does protection. Best protection is an incoming wire connected directly (and low impedance) to earth ground. A surge that does not enter the building does not go hunting for earth destructively via switches.

Again, no protector does protection. It only makes a connection to earth when the incoming wire cannot connect directly. So what do those adjacent protectors do? Protect from surges that typically cause no damage.

Important terms are 'single point earth ground' and 'low impedance'. Every incoming wire muist connect 'low impedance' (ie less than 10 feet') to 'single point earth ground'. Each of four words has engineering significance. If a building has multiple earth grounds, then protection is compromised. Protection is compromised if a connection to earth ground (via a wire or protector) is too long (ie 'more than 10 feet'), has sharp wire bends or splices, is inside metallic conduit, is not separated from other non-grounding wires, etc.

Incoming cable or satellite dish should already have that direct connection to earth. Best protection already installed. Telephone wires cannot connect directly to earth. So a 'whole house' protector is already installed by the telco for free. Again, best protection. But what has no protection? AC electric.

A surge incoming on AC mains is either earthed harmlessly by the Eaton. Or it is inside hunting for earth destrutively via equipment. An adjacent protector can even give that surge more potentially destructive paths. Incoming on AC mains. Best outgoing path destructively via cable or telephone lines. Once that surge is inside, then nothing can block or absorb that surge. As in nothing. Either a surge harmlessly dissipates outside. Or it goes hunting destructively inside.

So what should have most of your attention? Not the Eaton. Most attention focuses on what does protection. What harmlessly absorbs hundreds of thousands of joules. Single point earth ground. And connections to that ground.

Protectors only do what a wire might do. Wire also does not do protection. Wire or protector are only connecting devices. You saw what happens when a protector has no earth ground. Destroyed switches. An adjacent protector might have earthed that surge destructively through switches. A protector is only as effective as its earth ground.

You should have plenty of questions about the 'art' of protection. Earthing.
westom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #5

Thanks all for the input.. In regards to the earth ground, agreed that it needs to be in order. I am on a well, so no conductive underground piping to speak of, however I do have two 8' ground rods 6 feet apart to main panel. The rods are also host to cable tv and land line phone. I think I'm grounded about as good as I can be unless I hammer in more rods - which I don't think necessary. I know lighting can do very unpredictable things no matter what protection.. my goal here is to protect from and surges from a rouge generator or a spike from the utility company.
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:08 AM   #6

6' is min. 8' apart was proven a better ground .Anybody in Fla. tell us about the three rod system they use?
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo View Post
I know lighting can do very unpredictable things no matter what protection.. my goal here is to protect from and surges from a rouge generator or a spike from the utility company.
Lightning is not capricious. Unfortunately, many make conclusions due to observation. Only assume it is unpredictable.

Routine is to have direct lightning strikes without damage. That same protection also means other spikes (ie from utility switching) cause no damage. Protection from direct lightning strikes is also what must be installed to have protection from those other (and lesser) anomalies.

Ground rods may be a better ground than a water pipe. Pounding more ground rods may or may not make earth ground better. Concepts that define earthing quality are summarized by equipotential and conductivity. For example, a utility demonstrates defective, good, and kludged earthing:
http://www.duke-energy.com/indiana-b...ech-tip-08.asp

Earthing is an art. Just as important is its connection. Since these concepts are often not understood, then lightning appears to be capricious.

How often do rogue generators or utility generated spikes occur? How often are you replacing bathroom GFCIs or dimmer switches? Protection for those anomalies is also installed to make lightning irrelevant. And probably costs about $1 per protected appliance.
westom is offline   Reply With Quote