DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   easy question - PVC conduit connection to main panel (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/easy-question-pvc-conduit-connection-main-panel-49080/)

tpagel 07-17-2009 04:11 PM

easy question - PVC conduit connection to main panel
 
Connecting a sub panel in an outbuilding to main service in the house, to a surface mounted 200 amp panel. So far, all the feeds from this main panel enter or exit through the top or bottom punch-out openings, whether in conduit or not. I have a 2" conduit I want to connect, but the only 2" punch-outs are on the side of the box. Is there anything that restricts where you bring in the conduit to the main panel? Thanks, and sorry if this is a really dumb question.

jbfan 07-17-2009 04:31 PM

What size wires are you running?

You can use an LB into the side od the panel, but if you ars using 2/0 copper, or 4/0 al, it will not be fun.
Are you sure that you do not have a graduated scale of knockouts in the center of the top and bottom of the panel?

300zx 07-17-2009 04:33 PM

You could use a 2"" lb and a box adapter and a 2 "http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...o1/u218476.jpghttp://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...deo1/pvclb.jpg

300zx 07-17-2009 04:35 PM

Do you have enough room to use a 2"holesaw (If you atempt shut off main)

tpagel 07-17-2009 04:37 PM

I am running 3 #2 copper and a #8 copper ground. The conduit coming from the outbuilding is 2" diameter, and I thought it would be easier to use the 2" conduit all the way to the panel, using the LB's 300Z shows, rather than neck the conduit down. Would three #2's and an 8 even fit in a 1" conduit, much less let you pull them through?

tpagel 07-17-2009 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 300zx (Post 303310)
Do you have enough room to use a 2"holesaw (If you atempt shut off main)

And do what with it? Drill through the service panel? Yikes!

300zx 07-17-2009 04:45 PM

You would have to go to 1 1/4 you can put 5#2's -1 inch you can only put 3 #2 thats not including your ground

300zx 07-17-2009 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tpagel (Post 303314)
And do what with it? Drill through the service panel? Yikes!

Has been done hundreds of times

jbfan 07-17-2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 300zx (Post 303317)
Has been done hundreds of times

Might be a few more than that!:jester:

tpagel 07-17-2009 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 300zx (Post 303317)
Has been done hundreds of times

Can't say I would have thought of that. You mind if I make that the solution of last resort though? :huh:

300zx 07-17-2009 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tpagel (Post 303323)
Can't say I would have thought of that. You mind if I make that the solution of last resort though? :huh:

You have to be very,very careful Dont know if i would recomend you try but if you do main off and move all other wires out of the way then when you see it getting close to going through slow down so you don't end up with the bit in the panel (I do it all the time sometimes you have no choice but i have been doing it for 15 years. I also have a nockout pounch but way to much money for a hole Maybe a rental shop would let you rent one for couple of hours

220/221 07-17-2009 05:37 PM

Electricians use hole saws and punches to make whatever size hole we need.

Every panel I have seen has up to a 2.5" KO in the bottom center.

Hole saws work great up to 1 1/2". 2" is doable but slow. 2.5" just doesn't want to work. Too much surface area to cut thru.

Quote:

The conduit coming from the outbuilding is 2" diameter, and I thought it would be easier to use the 2" conduit all the way to the panel,
2" diameter or 2" IPS (trade size)?

.
Quote:

Would three #2's and an 8 even fit in a 1" conduit,
I don't think anyone suggested using 1"

You could run it up the side and enter with an LB but it would look like an amatuer did it

tpagel 07-17-2009 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 220/221 (Post 303339)
Every panel I have seen has up to a 2.5" KO in the bottom center.

That one is taken already, and all I have left are 1" diam, though I will check again

Quote:

You could run it up the side and enter with an LB but it would look like an amatuer did it
This whole house looks like an amateur did it! You should see the framing! :wink:

zpm 07-17-2009 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 300zx (Post 303325)
.... when you see it getting close to going through slow down so you don't end up with the bit in the panel

You could always clamp a piece of 1x where you're drilling as a backstop.

300zx 07-17-2009 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zpm (Post 303368)
You could always clamp a piece of 1x where you're drilling as a backstop.

yes very Good idea:thumbsup:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 PM.