Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2009, 10:51 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 208
Share |
Default

E-Meter Head cost?


My irrigation contractor (a friend of a friend) broke my electric meter head with the backstroke of a shovel. No harm done; he had the poco replace it same day/power was never interupted to the house. Two questions:

He joked that he had done me a favor as I "got free power for the two hours before they replaced it." True?

Also, does anyone know about what the poco charges for that replacement? I know it varies, but $100? $250? $500?

Northern New Jersey/Morris County

cgoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,503
Default

E-Meter Head cost?


Here in SC, it would cost nothing.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:44 AM   #3
DIY = Done Right 1st Time
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central, NY
Posts: 74
Default

E-Meter Head cost?


Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoll View Post
My irrigation contractor (a friend of a friend) broke my electric meter head with the backstroke of a shovel. No harm done; he had the poco replace it same day/power was never interupted to the house. Two questions:

He joked that he had done me a favor as I "got free power for the two hours before they replaced it." True?

Also, does anyone know about what the poco charges for that replacement? I know it varies, but $100? $250? $500?

Northern New Jersey/Morris County
While it may be possible the meter stopped working during those couple hours.. but more than likely POCO will just estimate your usage for that day. So you saved nothing.
BowDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
WFO
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 89
Default

E-Meter Head cost?


At our POCO, we would not bother estimating a couple of hours use, so in that regard, your friend is probably right.
If you had been the victim of vandalism, we wouldn't charge you anything for the damage, but since someone in your employ caused the damage, we would charge you the price of the damaged meter (typical single phase with a communications module is around $100 depending on make) and a service trip ($60).
WFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:18 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,503
Default

E-Meter Head cost?


Quote:
Originally Posted by WFO View Post
At our POCO, we would not bother estimating a couple of hours use, so in that regard, your friend is probably right.
If you had been the victim of vandalism, we wouldn't charge you anything for the damage, but since someone in your employ caused the damage, we would charge you the price of the damaged meter (typical single phase with a communications module is around $100 depending on make) and a service trip ($60).
Thats why we do not know what happened. Found it that way this morning.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 208
Default

E-Meter Head cost?


I was at work so I don't know what he told the POCO, but with a half installed irrigation system and a gaping hole right in front of the meter where a shrub used to be, I don't think ignorance would've played out.

But, he's a nice guy and I just hope he didn't take too big of a hit dollar wise.
cgoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:27 PM   #7
WFO
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 89
Default

E-Meter Head cost?


Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
Thats why we do not know what happened. Found it that way this morning.
Amazingly, nobody ever does!

Actually, for the most part we give a guy the benefit of the doubt. Just like the time my post hole digger went thru a phone line. Darn gophers!

WFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clipped Head v. Full Round Head Nails RickT Carpentry 10 11-18-2010 09:00 AM
Tiny elbows on meter? pcampbell HVAC 24 10-06-2009 09:54 AM
Water meter aggravations KE2KB Plumbing 8 03-21-2009 06:53 AM
Frozen water meter stubborn1 Plumbing 5 01-26-2009 06:35 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.