Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2009, 01:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

DYI electricity for new addition

I'm adding 1,000 sq. ft. that contains a bedroom, den, two full baths, a laundry, and an a/c system. I want to run all the wiring myself and install all the plugs to code, and then bring in an electrician to tie it all into the powergrid and add new breakers/breaker boxes. I'm looking for information about basic items like gauge of wiring, location of outlets, switches by code. Any takers?

marshstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Are you allowed to do electric work where you are located?
Some areas homeowners can't do their own work
Do you have an electrician lined up to do the finish work?
Here we are required to have a rough electric inspection
Then a final w/plugs/devices installed

Under NEC 2008 bedrooms must be protected by an AFCI breaker
Laundry requires a dedicated 20a circuit, no lights, can't leave laundry area
If an electric dryer that is usually a 30a & #10 wire - buit must be wored per Mfg instructions
Bathrooms need GFCI protection, one circuit can provide power to outlets in both bathrooms & only thebathrooms
OR
an individual circuit to each bathroom (can't leave the bathroom) can supply outlets & lights
I prefer a dedicated ciruit to each bath
Any devices that require a dedicated line must have a dedicated line - IE a jacuzzi or heater in the bathroom

20a breakers = 12 gauge wire
I only run 20a 12g for outlets
15a 14g is usually used for lights
But you can run 12g 20a breaker if you have a lot of lights

Outlets are required every 12', I usually do every 6' dependingupon layout of room & needs. Also required within 6' of a door/break in a wall
Bedroom required to have a switched light & other rooms
AC power depends upon the unit

I'm sure others can add more detail

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Are you allowed to do electric work where you are located?
Some areas homeowners can't do their own work
Do you have an electrician lined up to do the finish work?
Here we are required to have a rough electric inspection
Then a final w/plugs/devices installed
Yes, I'm allowed on my own home to do the work. Yes, I have an electrician lined up to finish the work. And yes, the inspector told me he wants to do a rough inspection and then the final inspection.

Your feedback is most helpful. I think the only thing that left me in question was your phrase about "can't leave the room" when talking laundry and bathrooms. Otherwise, you've nailed what I needed to know.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:48 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,004

What type of AC system are you installing? If you have any equipment outside the dwelling you will need a disconnect and a convenience receptacle. You also mention 'breakers/panels? Are you installing another panel in addition to the main panel?
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:01 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshstate View Post
Yes, I'm allowed on my own home to do the work. Yes, I have an electrician lined up to finish the work. And yes, the inspector told me he wants to do a rough inspection and then the final inspection.

Your feedback is most helpful. I think the only thing that left me in question was your phrase about "can't leave the room" when talking laundry and bathrooms. Otherwise, you've nailed what I needed to know.
A laundry area is required to have a dedicated circuit just for the laundry area. Our laundry area is a large room, and the laundry outlet circuit is only in that room. I do have another circuit for a freezer in that room. Some people have the washer dryer in a "closet" with bi-fold doors - the circuit would not be allowed to leave that closet. Others have the washer & dryer just in the wide open basement. In that case they do not want the laundry circuit serving outlets all over the basement

Bathroom case 1: dedicated GFCI protected circuit to each bathroom. This can include lights & outlets in the bathroom, but that circuit can't supply other outlets (hallway/bedroom ect)

Bathroom case 2: 1 GFCI protected circuit supplying outlets in both bathrooms. The circuit can supply outlets & outlets only in both bathrooms & can't supply other outlets (hallway/bedroom ect). Best to have a GFCI outlet in each bathroom fed by the LINE of the circuit

With hair dryers taking up 1600 watts I find it best to have a dedicated circuit for eachbathroom

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 07-20-2009 at 05:56 PM. Reason: sp
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:02 PM   #6

You have done an excellent job of explaining "leaving the room." It's as clear as a bell. I kinda thought that's what you meant, but wanted to ensure. I've gone to Lowes and picked up tons of electrical-lookin' stuff and will begin the task tomorrow. Prior to your feedback, I was boardering on not tackeling this project. But, I think I'm up for it, especially knowing a certified electrician will eventually tie it all in. Thanks sooo much for your feedback. May have questions later as I get into the actual task.
Mike
Old 07-21-2009, 11:35 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,004

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshstate View Post
You have done an excellent job of explaining "leaving the room." It's as clear as a bell. I kinda thought that's what you meant, but wanted to ensure. I've gone to Lowes and picked up tons of electrical-lookin' stuff and will begin the task tomorrow. Prior to your feedback, I was boardering on not tackeling this project. But, I think I'm up for it, especially knowing a certified electrician will eventually tie it all in. Thanks sooo much for your feedback. May have questions later as I get into the actual task.
Mike
Why an electrician? You are doing 90% of the work already. We can help you trim out the job. I would not want to work on a job where someone else pulled the wires. If I cannot do it all, I don't do it.
You are actually using the electrician for the easiest part.

You are permitted and will have it inspected. Why not just do it all.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:11 PM   #8

You make a good point. And my big brother said what you said. Nobody in this county will be willing to "sign off" on my wire-pulling work. I guess the big deal is building in that extra breaker box. But, I've been doing some research in the net, and it looks doable, but dangerous. If you stay on as my coach, I believe I will probably get it done.